Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In other vehicles I have driven or owned, the vehicle usually had a tone that would go off when removing the key from ignition when I left the headlights on. I guess it was a reminder to turn off the headlights.

I noticed that the RAV4 Base doesn't have this feature. Can anyone else confirm that they do not have the tone as well? I already found myself leaving the headlights on twice. I hate to get caught with a dead battery.

Thanks.

C

·
0 Posts
Mine doesn't have that option either. I was pretty bummed out about it as well because I too have caught myself leaving the lights on. I can't believe that Toyota was so cheap as to not add a warning buzzer of some sort.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I believe auto-off is on all models. If you press the remote's Lock button twice they will go off immediately. Otherwise, it takes 20 minutes? (the amount of time was posted somewhere around here before, I don't recall exactly)

C

·
0 Posts
Well I have tried mine twice and I have the base model and they do NOT go off immediatly. Anyone else with the base model tried to lock the door with the remote and see if your lights shut off?

C

·
0 Posts
Nope, I just went out there and tried it several more times by pressing the lock button on the remote twice and the lights DO NOT shut off.

·
Registered
149 Posts
mhgsx said:
The lights will shut off after 30 secs.
Yes, we have the base model. It DOES have auto shut off after a short period of time. Hence the lack of the alarm when motor is shut off with the lights on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The owner's manual says they shut off after 30 seconds. They also shut off immediately if you press the remote "lock" button twice. My fiancee and I tested this on her new V6 LTD.

However, we were alarmed the other night when we parked outside a restaurant and returned to the RAV after dinner to find that the headlights/tail lights were still on! (she had only pressed the remote lock button once, expecting the lights to shut off automatically after 30 seconds)

V

·
0 Posts
So which is correct?

Do they, or don't they turn off after 30 secs?

Do they turn off with two presses of the lock button?

Does the vehicle have the same feature in Canada as in the US?

:shock:

C

·
0 Posts
I'm going to have to test this again then because I tried hitting the remote button twice and they did not shut off but I didn't wait 30 seconds. Can someone with a base model confirm that if you press the remote button twice they shut off immediatly? Or after how long do they go off?

·
Registered
240 Posts
For clarification, the manual states that the lights will shut off in 30 secs IF the key is removed before the door is opened.

I don't know what happens if you open then door first, then turn off the car and remove the key.

·
Registered
24 Posts
mhgsx said:
For clarification, the manual states that the lights will shut off in 30 secs IF the key is removed before the door is opened.

I don't know what happens if you open then door first, then turn off the car and remove the key.
Ah, okay. That's probably why our lights were on the entire time we were in the restaurant.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Digging up this old thread - when we got up this morning our 2006 Rav's battery was dead and the lights switch was on. My wife thinks that she turned everything off, but then turned the lights back on because she needed to see something in the driveway. Is the 30 second auto-off disabled if you turn the lights on with the engine off? I'm trying to figure out if something strange happened or this is easily explained.

thanks...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts