Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Rav's interior has been impressively quiet until I was leaving work last night. I noticed a pronounced rattle coming from the passenger area behind me when my engine was idling from a cold start. It went away as the engine warmed up but was intermittent as I was driving home. When I parked at my apartment I investigated a little more. I opened and closed the left passenger door and sure enough it's coming from the headliner just above the door. With the moonroof shade pushed back the noise improves and with the moonroof open it completely goes away. I called service for an appointment tomorrow morning. Anyone else have this problem?

BTW - Glad I found you, my name is Josh. I'm coming over from newbeetle.org (traded in the '99 beetle, finally). Hoping I'll be much happier with my Rav!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
lucky_bunni wrote:
Hoping I'll be much happier with my RAV!
Oh, you will, especially when you go to squeeze four of your buddies in your new RAV!! :wink:

Welcome, and no problems with rattles from moonroof headliner, although there have been some here who have mentioned rattles in the dash and windows.....search the interiors forum.

OC

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I have the same rattles in mine as well. It goes away on a really smooth road. Unfortuantley in Portland those are a little harder to find. I have been putting up with it. Let me know if the dealer is able to fix yours. I didn't want to go through the song and dance unless I knew there was something they could do that would not affect the operation of the Moonroof, or cause it to leak later :?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With just slight pressure on the headliner right about the door, the noise ceases. I think (and hope) it's something very minor. I really don't want them to have to tear the whole headliner/moonroof apart! I'll update tomorrow night after it gets checked out.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lucky_bunni said:
With just slight pressure on the headliner right about the door, the noise ceases. I think (and hope) it's something very minor. I really don't want them to have to tear the whole headliner/moonroof apart! I'll update tomorrow night after it gets checked out.
Mine does exactly the same thing. Take my hand push a little, no more rattle :D

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Was only at service for about 30-45 minutes. Their suggestion was that it is the passenger support handle/hanger that is just loose. Seems like the easiest answer and the only thing they can get to without getting into the headliner. So they are ordering me a new handle for that side, which is a good thing because he also scratched and blimished the original one. He sat in the car with me while tugging at the handle to tighten it as he opened and closed the door. I still felt that there was a noise there and it was coming from somewhere under the headliner, just slightly forward of the handle.

However, he explained I agreed (and sort of already knew) that it would be a rather lengthy and risky endeavor to do anything under the headliner. It isn't there constantly, and I would describe the bother as minimal. I am conflicted between wanting a car with just 1k miles to be absolutely perfect, and being reasonable that messing with some problems after the car is gone from the factory will only make things worse.

I am glad that at least the problem is documented and if enough people have the problem Toyota will look into it and find a fix. And it's documented if the problem ever grows worse to the point that it's unbearable.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I also have an actual rattle in my Moonroof. I have an appointment to take it in on 5/1. I know its just a matter of putting some kind of material to cushion the moonroof when the road is rough and causes vibration :D

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I decided to poke around it a little. I carefully pryed the weather stripping from the top of the door back and stuck my hand up in there to give a feel around. There is some wiring or lines tucked atop the door, but they are wrapped in padding so I don't think they're the problem. Moving my hand further up, I felt a metal object which I assume is the track of the moonroof. I think it may just be the track (or whatever the moonroof runs on or in) slightly making contact with the relatively solid backing on the headliner. It just drives me crazy that all I have to do is put my hand on the headliner, with hardly any pressure, to get it to stop. Too bad there isn't a diagram that shows what's up in there...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts