Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving, it appears that my headrest on the driver's side is "shimmying" and slowly moving UP. At first, I thought I was crazy, thinking, perhaps I had pulled the headrest up high...but, then, the next day I noticed it was back up again. It doesn't seem to "lock" into the down position (I definitely don't want it high).

Is this something I should phone the dealer about?...or is there some kind of lock mechanism I am missing somewhere? I push in the button that is attached to the headrest...but, that doesn't do diddly.

Thanks!

·
Registered
168 Posts
There are three (maybe four, I forgot to count) indentations in the metal bar that supports the headrest. It will lock at these positions. Unfortunately, the first one is about an inch up from the bottom position. Once it's locked, you'll have to push the button to release it. At the all-the-way down position the button does nothing. You must be pushing it up somehow (with your head maybe ?) , but it should lock when it gets to the first indentation.

I just checked again. It only locks on the way down. It will continue to go up all the way without pushing the button.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My head doesn't touch the headrest..in fact, I sit up pretty straight while driving. However...if there is an accident, I don't want the headrest to be too high!

My husband and I have played with it...tried locking, etc...and, it still "shimmies" up...it must go slowly, because I don't even notice it actually moving up! But...when I get home from a road trip...it is up again! LOL!

I am definitely taking it to the dealer to see why it is doing this. I just feel it is unsafe if, God forbid, I'm in an accident.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The G Man said:
Sounds your locking device is not working, do you hear or feel a click when it locks into a locks into place.
There is no clicking at all! Would this be a seat thing, or the headrest? I am wondering if I will need an entire new seat?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
something is definetly wrong. I complained about my passenger seat not coming back up after reclining and pulling up on the handle and they ordered a whole new seat track and associated parts.. Its going in thursday to get replaced.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
RAVishing said:
The G Man said:
Sounds your locking device is not working, do you hear or feel a click when it locks into a locks into place.
There is no clicking at all! Would this be a seat thing, or the headrest? I am wondering if I will need an entire new seat?
Not sure if they can just replace the locking device, but either way, it is under warrenty.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
flyingn said:
anything more Ravishing?? Is it still doing it???
Yes, it is still doing this. I checked the passenger's side...and, it is fine, and locks in when it is down all the way.

We're taking it in this week.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'm not familiar with the actual shape of the '06 headrest, but is it possible it is inserted backwards and keeping the indents from locking it??........I know it's real obvious when mine are in backwards ('05)...... Made me wonder when you said your head didn't contact the headrest......

Yes, I do put my backseat headrests in backwards at times because when turned back they don't interfer with the top of the childseats my grandsons use.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the headrest definitely isn't backwards! We're taking it in on Monday to have it looked at...so, hopefully they will be able to fix it My husband thinks, perhaps, some of the stuffing inside the seat is preventing it from staying down. You can almost feel it touching something that is preventing it from staying down to lock in.

Thank you all!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Our salesman and the 'service personnel' are dweebs! There...I said it! They are dweebs!

Today we went to the dealer to pick up our plates, and had them look at our headrest that keeps shimmying up. Well...the salesman said, "no problem...we take care of it."

He came back...said they fixed the problem. He then added in..."they just stuck a piece of paper down there."

I then told him, "how is this going to fix the headrest to lock?" He said, "no problem. we fixed." I kept asking him, "how does a piece of paper fix the problem" He said, "don't worry, it's fixed."

The place was packed, it was raining cats and dogs...I had a BAD sinus headache...and just left because wasn't in the mood.

Sure enough...we get down the road about 2 miles...and, the headrest was up again!

Grrrrrrrrrr!!!

I don't know what to do. My husband said if we need to get a new seat, that could be a whole new set of problems. I, on the other hand...want a BRAND new car that has everything working properly...even if it is just the headrest. Not to mention for the next year I have to look at a crooked license sticker because they put it in an odd position. *sigh* Maybe there is no pleasing me.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
OK... that's it... I could probably put up with a shimmying headrest... but I'd have to draw the line at the crooked license plate sticker :shock: :roll: :lol:

Just kidding... I can relate to the license plate sticker issue. I ALWAYS put mine on MYSELF :lol:

Anyway... back to the headrest. Did you try swapping the problem headrest with one from another seat? This would at least narrow the problem down to whether it's the headrest or the seat that needs to be fixed :?

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kelly Smith said:
OK... that's it... I could probably put up with a shimmying headrest... but I'd have to draw the line at the crooked license plate sticker :shock: :roll: :lol:

Just kidding... I can relate to the license plate sticker issue. I ALWAYS put mine on MYSELF :lol:

Anyway... back to the headrest. Did you try swapping the problem headrest with one from another seat? This would at least narrow the problem down to whether it's the headrest or the seat that needs to be fixed :?
Thanks for the laugh! Today, while driving...that crooked sticker drove me nuts!! We can't remove it and reposition it because the state conveniently made it so, if it is peeled off, the word "VOID" stays on the glass.

I haven't tried swapping the headrest...what a genius idea! LOL! I think I'll let my husband have the honors...he loves tinkering with my toys.

·
Registered
685 Posts
You mean they used ordinary "paper".......at least Red Green (PBS) would have used duct tape......lots and lots of duct tape.....LOL
....it's the Cdn fix for everything!!! :wink:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bluenoser said:
You mean they used ordinary "paper".......at least Red Green (PBS) would have used duct tape......lots and lots of duct tape.....LOL
....it's the Cdn fix for everything!!! :wink:
LOL!! I did hear that duct tape was the fix-all! They even make prom dresses out of the stuff!

I have just resorted to pushing down the headrest every now and then while I drive. It is becoming a habit of mine...

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on my headrest dilemma!

Well, we took it to the dealer...FINALLY...and, they looked at it and couldn't figure out what the problem could be. They took the seat apart...and, everything seems to be fine. But...obviously, there is *something* that keeps causing it to go up, and up and up! LOL!

So, they are ordering new clip bracket thingies (that lock the headrest)...and, see if this will stop them from shimmying.

FWIW...the service guy said the salesman never came back that day with our RAV to have them look at the headrest...and, it was probably the salesman that stuck the paper down the hole to stop it from shimmying! What a doofus salesman!! UGH!!

p.s. This is nothing unusual...something happening to me and never happening to somebody else, or something happening that they have never seen! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts