Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - I have read all the posts re the CEL, TRAC, 4WD icons that lit up my panel only yesterday.
My car (purchased new) has only 32,000 mi on it and it is absolutely the perfect car for me.
But today the dealer tried to scam $1900 out of me to replace the emission parts and I just knew something wasn't kosher ... when I didn't bend over the service rep backed off and offered to get an assistant service manager to call TOYOTA requesting a goodwill repair (freeby to the dealer).
I joined this site hoping to get an education in this area - omg did I learn - I'm so livid my hair is on fire!
I've read that many ppl pay for the fix only to discover that the icons light up weeks/months later - again and again after a reset AND the 4WD locks off every time.
So let's be clear ... after paying off $31k and babying this car for 7 years I find out Toyota has been selling defective emissions on RAVs since 1996 and to really kick me to the curb the car won't pass an emissions test - you're simply SOL lady!
So I have 30 days from today when my plates expire to decide whether to begin the never-ending no promises $2k initial investment for labor & parts or sell my beloved RAV4.
Seriously Toyota? I'll never buy another TOYOTA again :pensive:

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Go to whoever you have as auto parts stores, Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly and have them read and reset the codes. Then give us the codes and see how long it takes for the lights to return.
Also check with your emissions station and ask how many Incomplete Monitors are allowed for the car to pass.
The goal being to get thru emissions first and figure out a permanent solution later.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
So - I have read all the posts re the CEL, TRAC, 4WD icons that lit up my panel only yesterday.
My car (purchased new) has only 32,000 mi on it and it is absolutely the perfect car for me.
But today the dealer tried to scam $1900 out of me to replace the emission parts and I just knew something wasn't kosher ... when I didn't bend over the service rep backed off and offered to get an assistant service manager to call TOYOTA requesting a goodwill repair (freeby to the dealer).
I joined this site hoping to get an education in this area - omg did I learn - I'm so livid my hair is on fire!
I've read that many ppl pay for the fix only to discover that the icons light up weeks/months later - again and again after a reset AND the 4WD locks off every time.
So let's be clear ... after paying off $31k and babying this car for 7 years I find out Toyota has been selling defective emissions on RAVs since 1996 and to really kick me to the curb the car won't pass an emissions test - you're simply SOL lady!
So I have 30 days from today when my plates expire to decide whether to begin the never-ending no promises $2k initial investment for labor & parts or sell my beloved RAV4.
Seriously Toyota? I'll never buy another TOYOTA again :pensive:
So what parts and work was required to be done for the fix? You should have some sort of estimate detailing the parts and labour on a work order sheet that are usually provided to the customers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for trying to assist me - I am grateful.

Codes: P2401, P2402, P2419, P0456, P043F, P043E

Toyota said I needed the following replaced: R & R Charcoal Canister, Filter for same, & Fuel Tank Protector Installation:
Shop Fees - $25.00 / Taxes - $112.37 / Parts and Labor - $1785.68 / GRAND TOTAL ESTIMATE WHEN APPROVED - $1923.05

Dealer said Toyota MAY goodwill the repair because of the low miles on the vehicle.

After reading the Forum posts relevant to this issue I am very concerned that the repairs are only a band aid (i.e. lower suspension arms) and that the icons can light up again and again randomly.

Re Emission Testing: Denver inspectors check to see if the OBD system detects any emissions-related problems & if possible COMMANDS the "check engine" light to turn on.
They also use I/M 240 Dynamometer - if vehicle passes the I/M 240 but had an OBD Advisory Fail, I can repair the vehicle any time prior to the next required emission test.

Thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Suggest that you check your RAV's Warranty and Maintenance Guide booklet - in my copy on pages 16 - 19 the emissions parts which are covered under the 8 years/80,000 miles emissions system warranty are listed. Since your RAV is '09 that warranty should still apply.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Did you (or the previous owner) smash your charcoal canister. Look under the car in front of the gas tank early models did not have the shield.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
get an independent shop to install a used charcoal canister,

charcoal canister go bad on lots of cars, either because they get hit by road debris, or because of overfilling the gas tank

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
I agree with Blogson they should cover it under the 8/80 warranty. I had my rusted out muffler replaced that way with something like 78K on the car because it and the catalytic converter (an emissions item) are one $1300! piece.

·
Registered
166 Posts
... snipped ... charcoal canister go bad on lots of cars, either because they get hit by road debris, or because of overfilling the gas tank
Interested in learning more about overfilling the gas tank leads to a bad charcoal canister. What more can you tell me?

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
Interested in learning more about overfilling the gas tank leads to a bad charcoal canister. What more can you tell me?
Yeah, got me wondering too. How is it even possible to overfill a gas tank? Put in more than it holds? I always stop when the filler pipe won't take any more. Sounds like a blame-it-on-the-customer dealer's excuse.

BTW, our '01 F-250s must be twins. Mine's a blue supercab also. 230,000 miles on it now.

·
Registered
166 Posts
... snipped ... Yeah, got me wondering too. How is it even possible to overfill a gas tank?

BTW, our '01 F-250s must be twins. Mine's a blue supercab also. 230,000 miles on it now.
Blutus (blue + brutus) just turned 100 last week (100,000 km. that is) which is about 62,000 mi. Just getting nicely broken in.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
The way I understand it is the charcoal canister is designed for filtering out gasoline fumes to keep them from polluting the air. On some vehicles, overfilling the tank can cause liquid gasoline to flow into the filter, which contaminates it.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
there is a vent in the filler tube that goes into the charcoal canister (couple of inches down to the left on the filler tube), if you overfill gas will get into the vent and go down into the canister. the canister is made to deal with gas fumes , not liquid gas, so if too much gas accumulates in it, it can cause the CEL to turn on.

·
Registered
166 Posts
there is a vent in the filler tube that goes into the charcoal canister (couple of inches down to the left on the filler tube), if you overfill gas will get into the vent and go down into the canister. the canister is made to deal with gas fumes , not liquid gas, so if too much gas accumulates in it, it can cause the CEL to turn on.
Thanks for yours and JuneBug's response. This is distressing ... in more ways than one.

OK. So in other words, I should not be continuing to fill my tank after the first shut off "click". Right?

That's going to be a real issue. You see, after the gas light comes on, it takes about 47 liters to fill the tank and although I can drive for nearly 100 more kms. (and have) I know it's not good to get bone dry and pick up all the crud from the bottom of the gas tank.

Since it takes 50 liters to get to the next reward level for Canadian tire money (beyond 40 liters), I've been in the habit of squeezing in as much gas as I can to put me over the 50 liter fill up level so I qualify for the 50 liter Canadian Tire money redemption. (you almost have to be a Canuk and for sure a Canadian Tire money collector to really understand this).

This is very bad news indeed.

My Canadian Tire Money | Canadian Tire

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I once over filled my gas tank after the first few click. Check Engine light came on as a result. Mechanic said the charcoal cannister needed to be replaced. A few weeks later trouble light disappears (on its own) and I cleared the code in the OBD2 memory. I checked later and the problem never came back. Lucky for me so I returned the charcoal cannister I ordered. So sometimes the gas vapours clears up in the cannister.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Thanks for yours and JuneBug's response. This is distressing ... in more ways than one.

OK. So in other words, I should not be continuing to fill my tank after the first shut off "click". Right?

That's going to be a real issue. You see, after the gas light comes on, it takes about 47 liters to fill the tank and although I can drive for nearly 100 more kms. (and have) I know it's not good to get bone dry and pick up all the crud from the bottom of the gas tank.

Since it takes 50 liters to get to the next reward level for Canadian tire money (beyond 40 liters), I've been in the habit of squeezing in as much gas as I can to put me over the 50 liter fill up level so I qualify for the 50 liter Canadian Tire money redemption. (you almost have to be a Canuk and for sure a Canadian Tire money collector to really understand this).

This is very bad news indeed.

My Canadian Tire Money | Canadian Tire

Yeah you should never fill beyond the first click. Bring along a gas can and fill that if it makes that much difference in reward points or whatever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1. Yes Blogson - I agree that Jesus is Lord.

Thank you for the reference to the Owner's Warranty Information but alas it appears to favor the dealer and Toyota.

2009 Owner's Warranty Info booklet pages 14-16 does indeed note that certain components marked 8/80 are covered by that warranty.

The components not covered specifically by the 8/80 warranty are the following (as described in the Toyota TSB M.I.L. "ON" DTC P043E, P043F, P2401, P2402, and P2419:
R & R Charcoal Canister and Filter - however, they were covered until the first required maintenance under terms of the California Emission Control Warranty.
Fuel Tank Protector - same

Mr. Pulldown - thank you for your thoughts but I have a skid plate, yes and no the Charcoal Canister is not smashed.

Dr. Dyno - my booklet says that only the Catalytic Converter and protector (for the converter, not the fuel tank) are covered under 8/80 warranty but not so for the filler neck, exhaust manifold, exhaust pipe or any of the EVAP system components, EGR system, Ignition system, PCV system, and assorted hoses and clamps, etc.

I pray that I've missed something guys, I really do. I love my car but I have read the postings on your Forums for this issue and so many people are experiencing re occurring issues and spending hundreds of dollars as well for parts they didn't need but didn't know they didn't need and there is no recourse.

I am so grateful that all of you responded so quickly. I wish to thank you all for reaching out to offer suggestions, thoughts and guidance.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,130 Posts
...also read that the light once reset, seem to come back after 100+miles so you could always reset them to pass inspections.
Yep, that's why I recommend resetting the codes and getting it thru emissions before the CE light comes back on. Maybe even spend $50 on your own reader so you can do it yourself.

A friend of mine just did that exact thing. He knew his '97 Accord has a leak in its gas filler pipe causing the CE light with an EVAP code. I reset it for him and he drove to the Emissions station and got it passed before the light came back on.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Yep, that's why I recommend resetting the codes and getting it thru emissions before the CE light comes back on. Maybe even spend $50 on your own reader so you can do it yourself.

A friend of mine just did that exact thing. He knew his '97 Accord has a leak in its gas filler pipe causing the CE light with an EVAP code. I reset it for him and he drove to the Emissions station and got it passed before the light came back on.
Even if you reset it and the light's off, if the problem is still there, it's still in the ECU as a "pending code". Don't know about other states, but in NY, a pending code is considered a failure for the annual emissions inspection.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts