Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been told by two dealers that this option can be installed after delivery.

Anyone done this?? What was the cost??

Have never got a straight answer on why Toyota makes leather seat trim a requirement for this option. VW and others have had this option available for years for cloth seats.

Looking at the statistics for my Toyota region (Portland, Oregon region), Leather seat trim on the Limited version is running about 10% of deliveries.

Must not be many old bones in this region that have experienced the welcome addition of heated seats in cold, damp fall/winter weather in the Pacific Northwest of US of A

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Yes, seat heaters can be installed.

Quick and dirty way is to buy it from and have it installed by a local shop. Any business that deals with aftermarket leather interiors will likely handle seat heaters as well.

If you want to save some $$$, you're handy with a little DIY, and don't mind taking apart your front seats, you can buy seat heaters online (reseller, eBay or otherwise) and install everything yourself. A quick search of Google will give you many places to choose from. One, two or three heat settings is probably one of the first options you want to think about. Many also say they don't work with seat-installed side airbags, but I'm not sure why unless they physically affect their operation as well.

I'd personally feel safer with a model specific heating element (one sized for the RAV4's center cushion area). But if there's enough savings to be had, dimensions should be all you need to worry about, since the carbon-fiber element can usually be cut down to size with a pair of scissors.

Driver's seat should be no problem, but the passenger side could pose difficult, because there are occupant sensors for the airbag in the lower seat cushion. Since the carbon-fiber heating elements go between the foam rubber of the seat and the seat covering -- be it cloth or leather -- a heating element has the potential to cause the sensors to malfunction or be rendered inoperable.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Summerwind -

Search for my posts, I detailed it somewhere. My leather and heat were installed after the dealer took delivery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts