Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I posted saying my wife felt her drivers side mirror wasnt defrosting. I found info here how to remove the mirror and just popped it off. I have 13.5 v at the leads to the mirror with the defroster on and 36 ohms across the heating element with power disconnected. Question 1: Does anyone here know what the resistance should be across the element, also, both voltage leads were black wires altho one was a positive voltage and one was negative. The mirror leads were not marked positive or negative on the mirror itself. Question 2: Does the polarity matter going to a heater element?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Where are you measuring the voltage and resistance? I expect you are right at the connector nearest the mirror, but the drawings show the wire colors should be orange for positive, and the ground wire is White/Black. Perhaps the heater wires which are bonded to the mirror are both black. And no polarity wouldn't matter.

According to the 2007 manual (which is the only thing I have), the resistance of the mirror heater is 4-12 ohms at 149'F. There is no value given for the cold temperature but I expect it should be even less, so your 36 ohm reading sounds like a defective heater.

Since you are so good at this now, why not measure the resistance of the other mirror just to confirm.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and info Rickl. I was going to measure the other mirror like you suggested but didnt want to possibly damage it because when I was removing the leads to the drivers side I heard some slight cracking noises as I pulled the leads off it like I was cracking the epoxy holding the flex to the mirror, but I did think of that for a comparison. Your info of the resistance being 4-12 ohms is good enough for me to order the mirror from my local dealer. They gave me a price of $42 with my discount so will do that today. Thanks again for the reply!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Where are you measuring the voltage and resistance? I expect you are right at the connector nearest the mirror
I found info here how to remove the mirror and just popped it off. I have 13.5 v at the leads to the mirror with the defroster on and 36 ohms across the heating element with power disconnected.
Although you didn't answer my question directly, it sounds like you might not have disconnected the mirror's electrical connector which is located behind the interior trim. So if "disconnecting the power" means removing the mirror heater fuse ( or just turning off the switch), then any resistance measurements you made would also include other circuitry including the resistance of the other mirror. If this is the case you might see the resistance change when you reverse the polarity of the leads. If you measured the resistance from the electrical connector (after unplugging the harness) your resistance readings would be more meaningful.

Having said that, I expect you would find the mirror resistance to be infinity if you measured it properly, and the diagnosis would be the same, your mirror is defective.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I pulled the mirror off its mount in the housing and held just the mirror while measuring the resistance across the leads of the heater element itself in the glass. The voltage measurement was made at the connection to the mirror with the mirror removed. At this point both leads are black, probably just the shrink tubing around the connector lugs. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quick update. New mirror reads 6.5 ohms. I installed new mirror this morning, it even came with instructions! New mirror gets warm now! However passenger side does not, it never really did. Will be ordering new one for that side. BTW, cost was $51 from Hendricks Apex NC Toyota. Had to order it but was delivered to dealership next day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I really dont know what options you have on a 2012 Rav base. Check your owners manual first. If you can pop off the mirror and see if you have the two leads that go to the heter element then you can order a mirror from your local dealer or get it online. Sorry I couldnt be more helpful.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings!
I have a 2012 Base 4wd V6 built in Japan (GSA33). I'm also looking to upgrade mirrors to heated or heated with lights for the wife. I have already checked the wire harness in the door and it looks to have 9 pins in the plug. I believe there are 2 yellows, a blue , a white with black stripe, black, pink, white, purple. (Thats only 8...sorry, I took a photo of the driver side only without wire color in mind and am getting this info after the event). There are 3 wires that run to the power mirrors for adjustment which are purple red and brown.

I am assuming that I am setup for defrost and lights.

Any info on upgrade parts that are decent?

I've read and seen people that have used Kool Vue. Any good? I don't want something that will rattle and make noise but I don't want to spend $800 for this upgrade so I'm looking for a good middle ground option. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
I have used TYC replacement mirrors and lights on other Japanese cars and the quality is the same as OEM. Have no experience with Kool Vue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts