Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Heated seats question

607 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  jlawr1
quick question - would the heated seats still heat up when there is no passenger? For example, would it wste any energy leaving the passenger one on all the time?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,204 Posts
I think the answer is yes the seat will warm.

However like you, I am too lazy to go try it myself. It may be tied to the butt sensor telling the car a passenger is there.

I couldn't care less how much extra energy it requires, I am more concerned about the unnecessary use and possible burnout of the elements if it is left on for every trip you take for the next 6 months.

· Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
......I am more concerned about the unnecessary use and possible burnout of the elements if it is left on for every trip you take for the next 6 months.
thats also my main concern too. I tried feeling the seat with ny hand, and i didn't feel it was on, so i assume that it has a pressure sensor to turn it on, since there should be already one for airbag deployment. 🤔

· Registered
2021 RAV4 Prime XSE Premium
944 Posts
quick question - would the heated seats still heat up when there is no passenger? For example, would it wste any energy leaving the passenger one on all the time?
If you turn it on, yes it will heat up. You may not feel it with your hand though since there's probably not enough weight to press the seating surface against the heating pad.

· Registered
Silver R4P XSE, Weather Package
1,152 Posts
If you turn ON the switch, it heats. Leave it OFF, it doesn'r heat. That's why there are two switches: one for thre driver and one for the passenger. Same in the Rear: one on/off switch for each outboard seat. Works the same way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts