Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Heated Seats

1082 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Makamike
I have a 2022 Rav4 XLE Hybrid with dealer installed leather seats.
I've noticed that the heated seats aren't getting hot - warm at best. As I am getting ready to drive from NC to New Hampshire for the Holidays and will be there for 10 days, having working seat heaters would be valuable.
Help!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
I also have dealer-installed leather seats (actually was contacted out to a reputable auto leather interior shop a few towns over) with seat heaters installed at the same time. Mine is a '21 Hybrid LE. I find my seats get warm enough, and they heat sluggishly but eventually reach a comfortable temp after ~3 min or so. This is in contrast to my wife's Platinum Highlander that has this option as factory-installed and those suckers will REALLY heat up.

One car previous I installed form fitting Clazzio vinyl seat covers and I bought a cheap ($50-60 or so, maybe less 🤔) heated seat kit from eBay to go with them. You basically just stick a heating filament sheet to the inside of the seat cover and then wire them to an unused ACC/keyed circuit with a switch.

Anyway, finally getting to the point... That bargain heated seat kit I bought from eBay sucked. It certainly would heat, and I could feel it on really cold days after running 10-15 min, and I could register temp changes with my infrared thermometer, but it wasn't much.

I bet they installed a cheap kit like that. 😬

· Registered
1,214 Posts
If the heater works like it should, in no way will you leave them on during your drive all day.

This is my 2nd vehicle with heated seats and these warm up very fast and quite warm. It's not cold here but I haven't had a reason to use high and I can't leave them on low for more than 10 minutes, generally speaking.

I wonder if the leather you have is so think it's robbing the heat. Bring it to the attention of the dealership asap and compare the heat against another vehicle.

If you wait to at least mention it, it may perceived as not really being a problem. I mean you found a problem and didn't bother reporting it in a timely manner -just how bad could it be?

If it is new, even more important to get it logged into the system.
Granted if they determine it is a problem it should be covered by warranty but it's always good to report an issue to the dealership asap to prove how important it is to you.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the heater works like it should, in no way will you leave them on during your drive all day.

This is my 2nd vehicle with heated seats and these warm up very fast and quite warm. It's not cold here but I haven't had a reason to use high and I can't leave them on low for more than 10 minutes, generally speaking.

I wonder if the leather you have is so think it's robbing the heat. Bring it to the attention of the dealership asap and compare the heat against another vehicle.

If you wait to at least mention it, it may perceived as not really being a problem. I mean you found a problem and didn't bother reporting it in a timely manner -just how bad could it be?

If it is new, even more important to get it logged into the system.
Granted if they determine it is a problem it should be covered by warranty but it's always good to report an issue to the dealership asap to prove how important it is to you.
How do I get this issue "logged into the system"? Are the heated seats included in the new vehicle warranty? I didn't see them included or excluded.

· Registered
2020 RAV4 LE
443 Posts
If it was a dealership add on, the seat covers and heaters are probably aftermarket. Can you post a pic of them and the buttons for the heaters? If they are aftermarket it may be just the specific brand they used

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it was a dealership add on, the seat covers and heaters are probably aftermarket. Can you post a pic of them and the buttons for the heaters? If they are aftermarket it may be just the specific brand they used
The heaters were factory installed as part of the XLE Hybrid package. The seats were reupholstered in leather by the dealership before I took possession of this new car. I am bringing the car in tomorrow for a diagnostic of the seat heaters and will report what I learn.

· Registered
2022 RAV4 Trail - Luna Rock 🎃 2022
140 Posts
The heaters were factory installed as part of the XLE Hybrid package. The seats were reupholstered in leather by the dealership before I took possession of this new car. I am bringing the car in tomorrow for a diagnostic of the seat heaters and will report what I learn.
I doubt the dealer does "reupholstering" it would be done either by out of shop sub or they bought them and installed them.

Do you know if you got OEM factory heaters or aftermarket.?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I went to the dealership yesterday and they used an infrared thermometer to check the operation of the seat heaters. On low they heated to 70 - 75 degrees F and on highthey heated to 80 - 85 degrees F. The heaters are designed to heat to a maximum temperature and hold that. These temperature readings are within spec.
BTW, the XLE packaage came from the factory with cloth covered heated seats. The dealership had a local shop reupholster them in leather, per my request, and I have the documentation from the installers that it is real leather.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts