Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heated steering is available on the SE and Limited in Canada, but neither model has a towing capacity which is a must for me.

I'm fine with every other part of the LE+ rated at 1750lbs, but the LE+ doesn't get the heated steering, and the XLE package doesn't add it (i'm interested in the XLE package anyways for the other items it offers).
Is it possible to order the heated steering wheel for a 2017 rav4 and install it myself? I'm sure there's some electrical reason why i can't tow and have a heated steering wheel at the same time, that's fine, i won't use them at the same time. I just want the heated steering for the winter (when i won't really be towing anyways).

It just feels ridiculous to get a new vehicle and then slip on a heated steering wheel cover with a flimsy 12v wire dangling off of it, not the mention i don't like how steering wheel covers fatten up the wheel.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Are you sure the Limited can't tow. According to Toyota's Canadian web site, only the SE doesn't have the option. It also looks like the Limited's Platinum package actually removes the towing capacity (which seems kind of odd)
I was thinking the reason the SE doesn't have the towing option might have to do with the suspension

Of course the website also says that Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is only available on the Limited yet my 2017 SE came with it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Where do you see that the xle and limited hybrids don't have a towing capacity? Like posted above, only the SE isn't "supposed" to tow. The limited and xle hybrids should tow 1750 lbs.

EDIT: weird, I just checked out the website and you're right it doesn't show a towing capacity for the limited(not that I doubted you :p). I know it was shown as the standard 1750lbs for 2016 when I bought mine. And I have a heated steering wheel. Which I'm 99.999% positive is totally unrelated to the tow capacity.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Where do you see that the xle and limited hybrids don't have a towing capacity? Like posted above, only the SE isn't "supposed" to tow. The limited and xle hybrids should tow 1750 lbs.

EDIT: weird, I just checked out the website and you're right it doesn't show a towing capacity for the xle and limited(not that I doubted you :p). I know it was shown as the standard 1750lbs for 2016 when I bought mine. And I have a heated steering wheel. Which I'm 99.999% positive is totally unrelated to the tow capacity.
The Limited can Tow, but there is a mistake in the Canadian brochure because towing capacity is not checked in the Limited column. It's confusing.

Is it possible that the "platinum package" available on the Limited version remove the towing capacity?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Limited can Tow, but there is a mistake in the Canadian brochure because towing capacity is not checked in the Limited column. It's confusing.

Is it possible that the "platinum package" available on the Limited version remove the towing capacity?
AHA!!!!!!!!! The manual only mentions SE as not towing as well :) Limited Hybrid it is then :)
I'm not really sure why the towing would be deleted for premium either, but grey 'platinum' finish wasn't really something i wanted anyway.

·
Registered
216 Posts
AHA!!!!!!!!! The manual only mentions SE as not towing as well :) Limited Hybrid it is then :)
I'm not really sure why the towing would be deleted for premium either, but grey 'platinum' finish wasn't really something i wanted anyway.
I'm also looking for an XLE and for sure it can tow. If you were in Montreal, we could try to have a super deal ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
You still didn't have any answer regarding the steering wheel option, but my opinion is that if it's possible, it will cost a lot of money to replace the steering wheel (and add the button and the wires). It's an option that I will love to have also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah yes, but if the limited hybrid (which has the heated steering wheel) also tows 1750lbs, then it solves the problem for me. Adding the heated steering to the LE+ Hybrid was a last resort since the typo in the canadian brochure made it seem like no amount of money could buy a 2017 rav4 hybrid with heated steering and towing

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You still didn't have any answer regarding the steering wheel option, but my opinion is that if it's possible, it will cost a lot of money to replace the steering wheel (and add the button and the wires). It's an option that I will love to have also.
And the clock spring and likely several other things need to be replaced. It wouldn't be a cost effective idea, and maybe not even possible.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ah yes, but if the limited hybrid (which has the heated steering wheel) also tows 1750lbs, then it solves the problem for me. Adding the heated steering to the LE+ Hybrid was a last resort since the typo in the canadian brochure made it seem like no amount of money could buy a 2017 rav4 hybrid with heated steering and towing
Verify with the dealer or email Toyota Canada if you want to make sure the Limited can tow. It's weird that the Toyota hitch cannot be selected in the configurator with the limited.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Strange. In Czech Republic is FWD and AWD version, four available equipment levels. Active, Active Trend, Selection and Executive. Executive has a heated steering and is never a problem with the trailer. All versions has power rear door.

Here is a brochures

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Strange. In Czech Republic is FWD and AWD version, four available equipment levels. Active, Active Trend, Selection and Executive. Executive has a heated steering and is never a problem with the trailer. All versions has power rear door.
European towing capacities are often higher for the same vehicle, a couple of people with not enough common sense ruin it for the rest of us, i'm sure the vehicle CAN tow, it's just a question of voiding the warrantee

1 - 15 of 15 Posts