Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the 2017 Platinum has a heated steering wheel. Has anyone put one on a 2016? It is -10 and it sure would be nice to have right now.
Think I will check the dealer tomorrow.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,715 Posts
I have heard that the heated wheel is only heated at the 8-9-10 o'clock position and the 2-3-4 o'clock position. The top and bottom portions of the wheel are unheated.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I have heard that the heated wheel is only heated at the 8-9-10 o'clock position and the 2-3-4 o'clock position. The top and bottom portions of the wheel are unheated.
That is true. At least on my hybrid limited.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Came with my package. Really doubt if it can added later.

I see the 2017 Platinum has a heated steering wheel. Has anyone put one on a 2016? It is -10 and it sure would be nice to have right now.
Think I will check the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
846 Posts
That is true. At least on my hybrid limited.
Yeah, the top and bottom are not heated but most of the time, I think my wife's and my hands are in those areas.

I wonder why Toyota designed it that way, could it be because there is no low or high setting though I kinda noticed that when it's not really that cold, the steering wheel doesn't really become as hot as when it is really cold outside.

·
Registered
7,916 Posts
You would have to first check if your 2016 and those with heated steering wheel use the same clockspring.
If yes, then you would need to buy a heated steering wheel and replace your current one. Otherwise, add the cost of a new clockspring.

After replacing the steering wheel (and maybe the airbag if your new steering wheel came without one), you will surely need 2 more steps. There is a good chance that the SW teeth that go on the steering wheel column are not positioned exactly the same. You will need an alignment (at least front wheel alignment). You would also need to get your steering wheel angle sensor reset. I don't know if you are familiar with the TechStream software. Best to take it to the dealer for this. They might even do this as part of the alignment. In theory, they should.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I believe heated steering wheels are available on Canadian Limited trims, but not US Limited trims from the factory. They did add a heated steering wheel to the US 2017 Platinum but not sure if any of these are interchangeable with a US Limited...

·
Registered
52 Posts
That's correct - Only the Platinum model gets heated steering wheels in the US and even it lacks the electric windshield wiper defroster included on the Canadian car. That makes sense as I sit here in balmy Chicago where the temperature never gets cold enough to make these options interesting to many people.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Even in this cold, cold weather (-15o C), I only have to turn on the heated steering wheel for about 5 min. This is my first car with it, and I LOVE it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts