Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2016 Hybrid Limited to replace my 2006 Highlander Hybrid Limited (crazily the RAV is only 4" shorter than the old Highlander...)

I was reading the manual for the RAV and noticed a section on heated steering wheels, which led to Google. That told me the option was only available in Canada.

So far, I haven't seen any sites selling them, but is there any non-money-related reason (I realize parts can be pricey) I couldn't buy a heated wheel from a Canadian parts seller and install it on my car?

NOTE: Totally new to the idea of doing anything to a car other than driving it (e.g. modding). I do have mechanic friends who I will pay good money to do this if it's not something I should attempt myself given my lack of experience.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Probably you need to buy everything, invite your friends over, buy the beer, then tell us if its possible or not.:wink

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
FYI, the heated steering wheel is only heated at the 10 o'clock and 2 positions and the 4 and 8 positions.
I'm not sure if the clock spring would have the wiring and pins installed that go to the switch. I assume it would use the same clock spring to avoid having do install different parts on different cars. But who knows, that's just my assumption.
The factory switch does seem like a latching switch though(not momentary which would mean it is controlled by ECU) so it likely goes directly to 12V.

I definitely wouldn't suggest removing the steering wheel yourself though if you're as "green" as you claim to working on cars. You have to deal with the airbag and likely need a steering wheel pull tool etc etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FYI, the heated steering wheel is only heated at the 10 o'clock and 2 positions and the 4 and 8 positions.
I'm not sure if the clock spring would have the wiring and pins installed that go to the switch. I assume it would use the same clock spring to avoid having do install different parts on different cars. But who knows, that's just my assumption.
The factory switch does seem like a latching switch though(not momentary which would mean it is controlled by ECU) so it likely goes directly to 12V.

I definitely wouldn't suggest removing the steering wheel yourself though if you're as "green" as you claim to working on cars. You have to deal with the airbag and likely need a steering wheel pull tool etc etc.
...aaaand my appetite to do this just vanished. Sure it's driver's ed sticking, but I do 9-3 not 10-2 so there's no point.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Sell yours and buy from Canada. We give 30% off to USD exchange.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
It is good to ask. IMHO, of course, it is not worthwhile. I have two sets of driving gloves, and a modest padded steering wheel cover that works No warm-up period, and with less expense. Oh, it does get cold here, too.

BUTTS! Are you kidding about the 30% discount?

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
...aaaand my appetite to do this just vanished. Sure it's driver's ed sticking, but I do 9-3 not 10-2 so there's no point.

Thanks for the info!
I've only had mine a bit over a month and just turned it on to try it out, being (almost) summer here so I'm not super experienced with it. I'd imagine it heats that area too. 9-3 seems to be right where the spokes are. Not even sure how you grab the wheel there. Seems odd to me to hold the spoke. Basically the heating pads seem to be above and below the "spokes" of the steering wheel from what I could tell.

But I'm glad I mentioned it though. If that's a deal breaker for you it's much better to know now than spending $$$$ and time getting it installed only to be disappointed.

My drivers Ed taught us 10-2. I often just do 1 hand at 12 though.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Ok, I was wrong. I used the heater on the way in to work this morning to see where it heats. It does in fact heat at the 3 and 9 positions as well. It's not just residual heat from the other positions either. There is definitely a heater at that position. Didn't notice the first time I tried it because I don't hold the wheel there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I was wrong. I used the heater on the way in to work this morning to see where it heats. It does in fact heat at the 3 and 9 positions as well. It's not just residual heat from the other positions either. There is definitely a heater at that position. Didn't notice the first time I tried it because I don't hold the wheel there.
Crud.

Now this whole thing is potentially back on.

Interestingly enough, I bet by the time I will actually be able to find this part I'll have gone through one winter without so I can see how much I really want it.

Thanks again for testing!

·
Registered
7,916 Posts

For the airbag, you will have to drill the rivets out and put new ones in. Maybe you could buy a steering wheel with airbag?

Most of the times you can pull the steering wheel by just applying pressure from the back with your knees.

Not sure about the clockspring; they might be different; the parts section at the dealer might know. Or take the VIN from a RAV that has that feature and compare the part number with the one that your RAV would use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If this isn't "Buy part, pay someone who can not kill themselves money to do the rest" type deal, I think I'd call it off.

However, it seems to come down to the availability of certain parts, without which it would be impossible to know if it's even physically possible (wiring, etc) to replace the whole steering wheel with a new one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts