Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 RAV4 V6 Limited with the automatic climate control system.

I can only get pseudo air-conditioned air out of the drivers side, both foot registers and dash registers, while I can get ice cold air out of the passenger's side. Also from both the foot registers and dash registers.

I ran the diagnostics listed here: https://share.qclt.com/丰田Toyota RAV4 Repair Manual/Air Conditioning/Air Conditioning System (For Automatic Air Conditioning System)/0420011.pdf
The codes returned were 21 and 24. I was in the shade when diagnosing this and based on other posts I've read these are spurious error codes so I am ignoring them.

I have also read these posts:

I have determined that it is NOT a driver's side servo motor problem. I can see it actuate when going from cold to hot. Further, I disconnected the driver's side servo motor and turned what I believe is the air mix door by hand and it turns from what seems to be lock to lock without any problems.

When turned all of the way counter clockwise, I get blazing hot air from the driver's side. When I turn it back all of the other way, I still only get pseudo air-conditioned air from the driver's side.

The next thing that I am thinking is that somehow there is something that is gotten into the air vents and is blocking the fins on the evaporator on the driver's side.

Is is possible to remove the blower motor to get a peek inside, or will I have to disassemble the entire dash to get a look at it.

Further, I would guess that to actually see the blend door on the driver's side I would need to take everything apart to see between the heater core and the evaporator.

Does anyone have any idea?

Thanks,

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've had this similar problem for the past 3 years where the entire passenger side is blowing hot air, while driver's side was blowing cold air until I had the refrigerant recharged incorrectly, where now, the radiator fans constantly runs whenever the controller is on. Now, there is no cold air at all. I have the same codes as well.

I did replace the passenger air servo motor thinking that was the problem because there was some rust on the gears, but that didn't solve it. Even tried replacing the temperature sensor on the dash and that didn't help. I was about to go as far as replacing the A/C amplifier until the part recycler person told me those are coded per VIN. It appears to be a common problem for the early limited trims with the ACC (automatic climate control). For now, I'm living with it since I'm mainly the only person using it, hoping to have some time one day (or two) to take the entire dash off and diagnose the problem. Once that's fixed, I'll take it to a reputable shop to have it recharged properly.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
I remember hearing that a somewhat low refrigerant charge can cause this problem. Get the A/C system checked out with gauges and make sure it has the proper pressures.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I had read about the low refrigerant charge and that's when I took it to an independent shop to try and recharge. They had purged the system first, then recharged with the gauges. However, it didn't solve the problem, in fact, it's actually worse than before as explained earlier. I'll try a different shop, otherwise I may need to take it to the dealer and bend over. :confused:

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,418 Posts
In that case, it could be a bad expansion valve.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the replies to the post.

I was talking to a colleague at work about he and he thought it might be a bad heater control valve that is stuck open. That it possible that it is flowing hot coolant through the heater core and that the AC and heat are battling it out in the center of my dash.

I still need to get my scope and double check all of the coolant lines to make sure that there isn't a leak anywhere. Then dig through the manual and figure out where that heater valve is and figure out how to trouble shoot it.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
New RAV4 owner here, but professional mechanic for 35 years. Since I haven't checked your car I'll try to share some knowledge. A proper shop will hook up gauges, or a dedicated machine and check to verify the cooling system is working properly, the fan/s the radiator are coming on. Is the condenser plugged or restricted by dirt or debris. Air flow is crucial for heat exchange. If the fan motor is weak inside the car or there is debris built up on the evaporator, that will cause the similar symptoms. If the system was/is low- you. have. a. leak. It sounds obvious, but modern systems are tiny and are very tightly sealed, Back in the 60-70's it was common for A/C systems to leak when they weren't being used. Get it fixed properly and don't use-or let anybody else use, any sort of A/C "Stop Leak" If you have access to a thermal imaging camera, or an add-on for your phone, they are a great tool for finding all sorts of problems, without having to tear stuff up. HTH, Steve

·
Registered
432 Posts
I finally caved in and had a shop fix my passenger side A/C problem. It was in the shop for about two weeks, due to technician availability and discussion with the Toyota parts advisor at a nearby dealer. What the shop advisor told me was that:
  1. A part of the airflow box wasn't actually for the '06 model, but instead, from an '05, even though the VIN indicated otherwise. Since 2006 was the first year of the 4.3, I suspect some 4.2 overflow made it through the 4.3 design. Perhaps it wasn't until 2009 when it was fully a 4.3.
  2. The passenger air servo motor wasn't actually the correct part as indicated in the FSM, since it was rotating the opposite direction, similar to the driver's side. Their technician went back-and-forth with the Toyota advisor to finally figure out what is the correct part.
  3. The close-loop control wire connector at the passenger side was corroded. I suspect water leaking through the cowl is to blame since I've had water in the front passenger floor.
All-in-all, I finally have a fully working automated climate control system after enduring 3 summers of one-sided A/C. The refrigerant was drained and refilled to the proper levels this time as well, so radiator fans weren't spinning at max rotation whenever the ACC was on. The compressor and expansion valve didn't have problems. Total cost was a bit over $1800.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow! That is quite a bizarre set of circumstances. Enjoy the cold, it's been the hottest part of the summer and it's not supposed to cool down until this weekend. I'm really loving my new-to me, Rav4. Now that I've got one I notice them everywhere, even the "rare" V-6 models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
karfixer
Toyota RAV4 Forums
Rav 4 World is the internet's largest Toyota Rav4 SUV and EV online forum community. Discuss towing, modifications, and more.
Full Forum Listing