Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those in very cold climates, how well and how fast does the interior warm up in your hybrid compared to a normal non hybrid? I'm in Winnipeg (I know there is a 'pegger here with a hybrid) where it gets down to -35 c or colder at times. A hybrid wouldn't be for me if you have to freeze to drive it. Especially since I assume command start isn't something you'd add to a hybrid.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
At those temps the ICE will be running more or less all the time anyway, so it will make as much heat as any other 2.5L.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We had the coldest temps ever over the weekend here in Central Ontario (-38c or so). The car was really cold, but it warmed up the same as any other car. If you demand heat the car will give it to you when it can, whether it's a hybrid or not. Of course the ICE will have to stay on a lot more in cold weather - that's normal.

Those in very cold climates, how well and how fast does the interior warm up in your hybrid compared to a normal non hybrid? I'm in Winnipeg (I know there is a 'pegger here with a hybrid) where it gets down to -35 c or colder at times. A hybrid wouldn't be for me if you have to freeze to drive it. Especially since I assume command start isn't something you'd add to a hybrid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can't comment on experience below 0F. However, an important note: I've been driving Camry Hybrids 8.5 years and just got a Rav4 Hybrid. If you need heat, DO NOT put it in "ECO" mode. One of the things it sacrifices is HVAC performance, and it is very noticeable. At a stoplight, you can turn the ICE on and off just by pressing that button if it's cold out and your cabin is not fully warm. (ECO mode = turn off the engine unless it's REALLY cold.)

·
Registered
24 Posts
That would probably be me. I haven't noticed it being any worse then my previous RAV (2012). If anything it seems slightly better. That being said, this is the warmest Winter I've been in Winnipeg (moved in 2013).

I did make a comment about the battery holding charge in another thread when its really cold. On some milder days 0- -10 the battery charges better then when its -30. The fuel efficiency is def better when its milder. On my normal daily commute between 0 and -10 I might average 8-8.5L/100k and when its in the -30 area I average close to 9.5-10L/100k. Off topic, but in case you didn't see the other thread thought I would put it out there for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts