Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOT a lightweight doggy barricade that just props between the ceiling and floor, but a strong barrier capable of stopping flying cargo in the event of an accident or rollover? Like these:

Volvo:
"The steel cargo barrier installs in the cargo area behind the rear seats to help prevent cargo from coming into the passenger area. The steel cargo barrier lifts up and out of the way when not in use."

Saab:
"Separates passenger and cargo areas, rear seat up or down. Retracts when not in use. Dealer installation recommended."

I have an Australian full height steel barrier in my LX450 from Milford of Australia, but it would be way overkill in a RAV4.

Are there any stout nets or heavy steel barriers out there for the RAV4? Would I have to fabricate something from a generic SUV cargo net? Like this:
http://www.raingler.com/shop/productDetails.asp?productID=309

Thanks.

John Davies
Spokane WA

·
Registered
685 Posts
I share your concern for "flying cargo", probably from my working days as an airport tech, when we carried a lot of electronics test equipment on road trips. We used the cargo nets similar to your link for years, only in a 6'X6' size with floor anchors. I actually have one of them in the RAV, from when they changed to the lexican/plexiglas floor to ceiling barriers similar to what the utility companies use. We sourced them by calling the telephone company and asked their fleet ppl where they were getting them.......guess I could suggest you try the same thing.........as probably different source on west coast than up here. They were also moveable, behind the front seats or behind the rear seats......
We also had one vehicle with a metal mesh floor to ceiling barrier in it, but the one disadvantage to it , was your eyes would focus on it in the rearview mirror instead of the road behind......
Having said that....there are times when I would like to anchor the cargo net to the threaded receivers near the ceiling on the inside of the "C" pillars.......but don't know the thread size ?....or if they are intended for this???? :? .......on my '05 4.2 Chili......dunno if the 4.3 has these....?
Sorry for being long winded! :oops:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found this for the older model, and I have emailed the manufacturer in Australia to find out when we can expect products for the latest RAV4.

http://www.milfordind.com.au/index....09?PHPSESSID=07a00763cf3e6e9486786a008adc1d3d

http://www.milfordind.com.au/index.php/selectedContent/301266517

I have a steel full height Milford Cargo barrier in my 1996 LX450 and it is a fine piece of equipment, but much $$$$$. I think the removable cargo net would be reasonably affordable, inexpensive to ship, and very safe in the RAV4. In appearance it seems to be very close to the Saab factory net that I posted at the top of this thread.

I will post more info, if and when I receive a reply from Milford.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts