Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my '07 Limited (i4, AWD), new to me a few months ago, 117k on the clock, has always made a very loud grinding/vibrating sound when starting to drive after sitting overnight.

I also have the steering shaft clunk that so many others do, this is different. Though the grinding and vibration I am speaking about is louder if I turn as I start to drive, it is unrelated to the steering clunk, completely different noise.

As soon as I've driven a short distance, maybe even a few blocks to half a mile, the sound dissipates and when the car is started hot, it never happens.

My first thought was low trans fluid but it's fine, and also unburnt (not sure when it was changed but I'll probably do that sometime soon anyway).

Did some research and someone suggested possibly it's the torque converter, but IDK.

Also, FWIW, this car had the 'high oil consumption' problem before I got it and it was *COMPLETELY* fixed by the dealership. I have records of the repair. More importantly, I've put almost 4,000 miles on it since picking it up including a 9 day, 2,100 mile road trip and it has not used a DROP of oil, I kid you not. (So at least I don't have to worry about THAT problem.)

Thanks in advance for your input,

-kj-

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Hi all, my '07 Limited (i4, AWD), new to me a few months ago, 117k on the clock, has always made a very loud grinding/vibrating sound when starting to drive after sitting overnight.

I also have the steering shaft clunk that so many others do, this is different. Though the grinding and vibration I am speaking about is louder if I turn as I start to drive, it is unrelated to the steering clunk, completely different noise.

As soon as I've driven a short distance, maybe even a few blocks to half a mile, the sound dissipates and when the car is started hot, it never happens.

My first thought was low trans fluid but it's fine, and also unburnt (not sure when it was changed but I'll probably do that sometime soon anyway).

Did some research and someone suggested possibly it's the torque converter, but IDK.

Also, FWIW, this car had the 'high oil consumption' problem before I got it and it was *COMPLETELY* fixed by the dealership. I have records of the repair. More importantly, I've put almost 4,000 miles on it since picking it up including a 9 day, 2,100 mile road trip and it has not used a DROP of oil, I kid you not. (So at least I don't have to worry about THAT problem.)

Thanks in advance for your input,

-kj-
I'd look at the brakes.....rusty rotors come to mind, but have the system checked out. Would your brakes get wet every night for some reason? (lawn sprinklers?)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I have a brakes guy I trust and wouldn't mind having him go over the car. I know the rears were done recently and the fronts a bit longer ago.

Definitely feels to me like a transmission issue but I will test next time I can by shifting into neutral once I start rolling.

-kj-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts