Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boouuuuu…Boouuuuuu.

The OEM dual-tone horns are just wimpy and barely noticeable to those abusers on the road. Now, I’ve got the Hella Air Horn. They sound extremely loud like the horns on the big-rigs. Moreover, when the horn goes off, it irritates people and the offenders. Can you imagine the size of the RAV with the horn tone like a big-rig? No more ‘meep-meep’.

The horn runs off from a relay, so no worry on the fuse issue.

:lol:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sweet! I have the same type of setup on my chopper, but chromed of course... and yes, people's reactions to such a big noise from such a small vehicle (in my case a bike) are pretty funny to see. I've thought about doing it to my Rav as well, because the stock horns are simply ridiculous! Would you mind telling me where you got them, or where I could find them on the net?

FYI: I'm assuming they have their own little compressor, if this is your first time with air horns I would reccomend using something like a woman's pantyhose to wrap the compressor in. Humidity mixed with road grime/dust etc... will clog it and/or the hoses eventualy. There should be some type of hole, maybe about a half a centimetre in diameter where the compressor sucks the air in before boosting out to the horns, this is where crap can get in and mess things up. The pantyhose act as a filter, but still let the air through.

EDIT: I found them on the internet and I see they have a built in air filter for the compressor.... good stuff!

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
I was always thinking of changing the OEM horn. It sounds to inky-dinky, beep-beep. I always looked at Hella in the Performance Product catalog. I was wondering, is their a web site that I can go and listen to the Hella horns to listen online how they sound?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hey, so you didn't have to go and take off the bumper and mount it where the factory horns were? I've been thinking of this mod, too, but it was just gonna be a pain in the butt having to remove the bumper since I'd have to take off the grille guard, too. Can you do a simple DIY set of instructions on what you did?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Slayer said:
Hey, so you didn't have to go and take off the bumper and mount it where the factory horns were? I've been thinking of this mod, too, but it was just gonna be a pain in the butt having to remove the bumper since I'd have to take off the grille guard, too. Can you do a simple DIY set of instructions on what you did?
Agreed. Accessing the front of the radiator area is nearly impossible with out major disassembly. My kids 03 Corolla is a breeze.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Great setup!!! :shock:
Been considering them myself.....CTC or Walmart???
Was there enough hose to mount the horns behind the bumper while leaving the compressor where yours is mounted.......I presume I'm looking at the compressor behind the two air horns...

Scare the dickens out of your passengers yet?? :wink: .......they must be loud in the pass. compartment too.....

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
zoomie said:
would it be too much to ask you for a sound clip? I got upgraded louder horns myself...not air horns however. i'm curious how much louder it really is.
Zoomie, I installed some airhorns on a VW Rabbit an number of years ago. From that experience I can safely say that air horns are louder than any non-air type horn that I have ever heard. The only downside to air horns that I noticed is that they have a very slight delayed reaction to your pressing the mechanizm on the steering wheel until you hear the blast. But as I said this was years ago and the technology may have improved.

·
Registered
875 Posts
for those of us not familiar with relays...kinda like myself, can you give a run down of what it does exactly and how it's installed? all i know is that the relay lowers the electric current or something right?..sorta? kinda? like? maybe?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heinznfries44 said:
Slayer said:
....... Can you do a simple DIY set of instructions on what you did?
I just ordered a set for myself, and I too would apreciate a quick run-down of the install if you would be so kind. Mainly where to locate the wires and their colors, just to make life a little easier! Thanks, Jamie.
:eek:

Sorry folks. I was away for a while, now I’m back. I will answer all of the questions. You are welcome to PM me if you want.

I didn’t remove the bumper to install the horn kit. A brief installation instruction came with the Hella kit. To make the horn work all you need is the (+) wire to hookup with the relay. Originally there are two horns came with the vehicle. The one you need to get on is the horn with one wire attached. I access the passenger side horn from the small hole at the front of the air dam to get the (+) wire. I had to use a small clamp to get the plug off the horn. Then you use a 3M wire splice to tab the second wire to get the (+), here is what I mean: http://www.easyperformance.com/Tech_Info/Splice_Use_Content.htm . I reattach the original horn because I want to keep the original horn activate. The air horn is going to run off from a relay, therefore, you don’t need to worry about the fuse issue and current draw from the original system. A relay requires a very small current to get activate. In my project I spent most of my time to build the bracket to hold the unit. As you can see the bracket I built is holding three items. The rest of the process was fairly easy and all parts available at the local auto parts store. I would suggest having a multimeter to test out the electrical before you wire anything. (+) wire is attached to the car battery with a 25Amp fuse box along the wire.

Stuff you need:
-multimeter
-1 wire splice
-some butt connectors and insulated female flat head connectors
-10ft wires
-1 metal bracket & hardware

Relay connection:
#85-Ground
#86-Factory horn wire (+), Trigger Wire
#87-Battery (+), with 25A fuse box
#30-To Compressor (+)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
zoomie said:
would it be too much to ask you for a sound clip? I got upgraded louder horns myself...not air horns however. i'm curious how much louder it really is.
I can’t find any Hella sample but other manufacturer I found on the net http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm . They sound similar, hope this help.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The 25Amp fuse box that connects to the battery already comes with the kit correct? Or we need to buy that too. ALso, what was the size of the wire splice? Do you have a closeup of the bracket you contructed for the horn so I know what to look for at the hardware store. Great job by the way. Always wanted to do this mod myself.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Slayer said:
The 25Amp fuse box that connects to the battery already comes with the kit correct? Or we need to buy that too. ALso, what was the size of the wire splice? Do you have a closeup of the bracket you contructed for the horn so I know what to look for at the hardware store. Great job by the way. Always wanted to do this mod myself.

Here is the ‘C’ shape bracket I made and also showing you the in-line 25Amp fuse box which you need to get it separate from the store. The wire splice you are getting is depends on the size of wire you can get.

You can have some fun after you are done with the project.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=DAFBBF1C-7796-4D17-AE4A-59455DA39AD4&p=0

Hope you are not blasting your horn like that. Hehe… The horn in the video was a lot louder.

Cal_Rav

:wink:

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
LOL!! :lol:!! That was funny :mrgreen: and evil at the same time :twisted:. Are you going to do that Cal_Rav? Scare the crap out of people? :mrgreen::twisted:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Got my air horns in the mail yesterday...... good price and quick delivery. To damn cold out to install them though (no garage), guess I'll have to wait till spring...... or a warm day off work. HOWEVER, I think it's pretty shady that they don't supply the wiring and connecters needed to do the job!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Heinznfries44 said:
HOWEVER, I think it's pretty shady that they don't supply the wiring and connecters needed to do the job!
Probably the reason why they were at a good price? :?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Cal_Rav said:
Slayer said:

Here is the ‘C’ shape bracket I made and also showing you the in-line 25Amp fuse box which you need to get it separate from the store. The wire splice you are getting is depends on the size of wire you can get.

You can have some fun after you are done with the project.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=DAFBBF1C-7796-4D17-AE4A-59455DA39AD4&p=0

Hope you are not blasting your horn like that. Hehe… The horn in the video was a lot louder.

Cal_Rav

:wink:
Those videos are awesome! I can't believe it has such an impact. Though your horn isn't as loud, do you get similar reactions? The more detail, the better? i'm way curious. Boy this thing's pretty cool! I love that video!!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heinznfries44 said:
Got my air horns in the mail yesterday...... good price and quick delivery. To damn cold out to install them though (no garage), guess I'll have to wait till spring...... or a warm day off work. HOWEVER, I think it's pretty shady that they don't supply the wiring and connecters needed to do the job!

I suggest you to build the bracket to hold the components first. The wiring part is easy to complete in a warm day.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cal_Rav said:
Heinznfries44 said:

I suggest you to build the bracket to hold the components first. The wiring part is easy to complete in a warm day.

I'll be using zip-ties to hold everything in place, almost 100% sure of that...... but I would like to know if that was 10' of wire total, or 10' of each "color" ( ground, splice to horn wire, fused positive? ). Also , I see you went with a 25A Fuse, my instructions tell me to use a 20A... any reason why you changed it up? Thanks, Jamie.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts