21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Heinznfries44 said:
Cal_Rav said:
Heinznfries44 said:
Got my air horns in the mail yesterday...... good price and quick delivery. To damn cold out to install them though (no garage), guess I'll have to wait till spring...... or a warm day off work. HOWEVER, I think it's pretty shady that they don't supply the wiring and connecters needed to do the job!

I suggest you to build the bracket to hold the components first. The wiring part is easy to complete in a warm day.

I'll be using zip-ties to hold everything in place, almost 100% sure of that...... but I would like to know if that was 10' of wire total, or 10' of each "color" ( ground, splice to horn wire, fused positive? ). Also , I see you went with a 25A Fuse, my instructions tell me to use a 20A... any reason why you changed it up? Thanks, Jamie.
Yep, 10' in total you need to prepare is enough to do the job. The Amp for the fuse is just to protect the circuit. Whether you use 20A or 25A it makes no difference. It just happened that I have some extra 25A fuse around, so I made use of it. Follow the Hella’s instruction is your best bet.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Cal_Rav said:
Heinznfries44 said:
Cal_Rav said:
Heinznfries44 said:
Got my air horns in the mail yesterday...... good price and quick delivery. To damn cold out to install them though (no garage), guess I'll have to wait till spring...... or a warm day off work. HOWEVER, I think it's pretty shady that they don't supply the wiring and connecters needed to do the job!

I suggest you to build the bracket to hold the components first. The wiring part is easy to complete in a warm day.

I'll be using zip-ties to hold everything in place, almost 100% sure of that...... but I would like to know if that was 10' of wire total, or 10' of each "color" ( ground, splice to horn wire, fused positive? ). Also , I see you went with a 25A Fuse, my instructions tell me to use a 20A... any reason why you changed it up? Thanks, Jamie.
Yep, 10' in total you need to prepare is enough to do the job. The Amp for the fuse is just to protect the circuit. Whether you use 20A or 25A it makes no difference. It just happened that I have some extra 25A fuse around, so I made use of it. Follow the Hella’s instruction is your best bet.
OK thanks! That's all I needed to know, have a great day!

T

·
0 Posts
zoomie said:
for those of us not familiar with relays...kinda like myself, can you give a run down of what it does exactly and how it's installed? all i know is that the relay lowers the electric current or something right?..sorta? kinda? like? maybe?
Zoomie, Here's a simplistic explanation of what a relay does (in general):

Suppose you already have a circuit with a little tiny wire. If you send too many electrons along this wire at once, it will heat up. Too much heat = damage (melting, short, fire, etc). So there's a limit to the current (number of electrons per unit of time) you can send through a given size wire. Bigger wire = bigger current. Smaller wire = smaller current.
Now suppose you want this LITTLE wire to activate a device that needs a LOT of current, like this horn.
First, imagine that you hook the horn up directly to the battery; one thick wire to +, and one thick wire to -. Then you cut ONE of these wires (lets say the big - wire) right down the center. NO current can flow in this circuit now because it's "open", so the horn is off. Imagine also that this cut wire is NOT insulated (no plastic coating), so IF the two halves touch, the circuit will be "closed" and the horn will sound.
OK. Now you take the two halves of your cut-in-half, bare wire (half leads to the horn -, and half to the battery - ), and you put one half on the left side of a horizontal piece of glass, and one half on the right side of the piece of the glass. Then you put iron magnets (iron conducts electricity) on either side of the wire going to the battery so that the wire is "sandwiched" between two magnets, but it's still not touching the wire going to the horn.

With me?

Now...You take a third magnet and you hold it against the UNDERSIDE of the glass plate below the two top magnets. Just like the "magic" you did when you were a kid, you use the magnet in your hand underneath the glass, to slide the magnets on top of the glass (which have the thick wire in between, so it moves with them). You slide the magnets toward the other wire until the circuit closes (HONK). You slide them away again, and the circuit opens (quiet).
So you've just turned the horn on and off without physically touching the circuit itself! Only the magnetism actually "touched" the high-current circuit on top of the glass.

In an actual relay, instead of using magnets a LITTLE wire is coiled around iron. When this coil gets a relatively small current through it (you press the steering wheel button), the iron becomes magnetic and the THICK circuit closes. When the small current ceases (you let go of the steering wheel button), the iron becomes unmagnetic, and a spring forces the THICK circuit to open.

So does that make sense? I tried to use simple imagery instead of techie explanations. I hope I haven't insulted anyone's intelligence.

Todd

·
Registered
875 Posts
Wow! tpginboston, thank you so much for that right up. The visuals were perfect and i was not offended at all. The magic analogy really made it clear. I actually use to do magic and still perform on casual occasions. The explanation was perfect.

lawrant: i noticed you just joined the forum a few days ago. Thank you SO SO SO much for making contributions to the forum so quickly. It's people like you that help this forum work. Thanks again! Feel free to look up some video tutorials i've constructed: video.google.com type in rav4 in the search field.

·
Registered
147 Posts
FYI for anyone thinking of doing this...... I just finished installing mine right now. The easiest way to tap into the original horn wire is using a T-tap and finding the horn wire in the wiring harness that runs down the drivers side of the engine compartment. This is a kind of long plasic "case" that clips together from the top, close to the fuse/relay box. Then simply unplug the original horns, getting to them by taking off the front grill. I set up my relay as follows. Fused power from battery into relay (brass colored plug). Ground to chassy out of relay (to the left of the brass colored plug when the brass one is on the bottom). Compressor into relay (opposite the brass colored plug). "Tapped" horn wire into relay, mine was green with a white srtipe (to the right of the brass colored plug). My copressor positive was sent to the relay (as stated) and the negative I sent to the chassy. Very simple, works like a charm, no cutting, splicing etc... I mounted the compressor to a bar I found in the engine compartment with the bolt provided, and I recycled an old bracket I had made for one of my earlier CAI projects for the horns. It is NOT neccessary to unplug the horns at all...... if you want them to go off in unison with the air horns, you can simply T-tap the horn wire where I said, saving yourself the trouble of taking off the front grill and unplugging the horns. Peace, Jamie.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
:lol:

Hi. I bought the triple tone set by Hella two weeks ago. They are slightly louder than the dual tone. I installed them on the same spot.

Hey Heinzfries44. Can you take a pic of your installation? Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
mensajero said:
Talking about horns. Is their a web site on the net that has the sound of the Hella horns? Lets say I want to buy a set of Hella horns. But before I want to buy, I would like to listen how they sound.
:lol: I have never see any vid about the Hella ones but only the funny link I posted above. Just get yourself a set. You will not regret.

·
Registered
875 Posts
i wanna hear about the reactions from pedestrians or other drivers. Let's hear the stories. I'm sure with these air horns, at least a couple of you have used them. Let's hear it! The more detail, the better.

How many db are these horns?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
zoomie said:
i wanna hear about the reactions from pedestrians or other drivers. Let's hear the stories. I'm sure with these air horns, at least a couple of you have used them. Let's hear it! The more detail, the better.

How many db are these horns?
They make 118db(Euro standard).

Story I can tell is usually people will look for some other bigger vehicle than a Rav :lol: . I remember one time I blast off my horn to get the other driver notice but the other driver thought it was the big rig beside me who got ticked. Kind of funny. I blast the horn for the second and third times. :twisted: Hehe.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hahha, thanks for sharing the story. So the horn is that loud eh?...that it sounds like a big rig? This horn thing is getting attractive. I guess I should have gotten the HELLA one instead of the one I have. mine is 81 db i believe. Do you think the extra DB would make a huge difference?

J

·
0 Posts
zoomie said:
Hahha, thanks for sharing the story. So the horn is that loud eh?...that it sounds like a big rig? This horn thing is getting attractive. I guess I should have gotten the HELLA one instead of the one I have. mine is 81 db i believe. Do you think the extra DB would make a huge difference?
Um, the Hella horns are going to sound like tooty air horns, not big rig horns. You need to get below 400Hz to start sounding like a big rig, like the ones toward the bottom of this page:

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/air.htm

Look at the Long Horn or Powerhouse horns toward the bottom. The frequency response is 415/450 Hz and 390/435Hz respectively. The Hella triple horns are 630/795/840 Hz. Use the sound clips the above site has for a general idea of the difference. Train horns (or truck ones) that require larger separate compressors are even lower:

http://www.wolo-mfg.com/truck.htm

Note the "CANNON BALL EXPRESSâ„¢ TRAIN HORN" @ 152 Decibels -150 HZ. This is what I want! But these type of horns need on-board air systems and of course are cost and space prohibitive. This horn's sound sample sounds like the one in the vid clip that was posted of those guys driving around and scaring other people (they're jumping for a reason - these suckers are loud). The 118dB Hellas will not make people jump like that, but 152dB will. To refresh my memory, I Googled for a decibel chart and here's what I got:

Power mower 107dB
Power saw 110dB
Pain begins 125dB
Pneumatic riveter at 4' 125dB
Jet engine at 100' 140dB
Death of hearing tissue 180dB
Loudest sound possible 194dB

I'm trying to figure out which of the horns on this site I can get that don't require a huge on-board air system and will give me the lowest train/big rig sound. The Hellas are OK, but I don't prefer the high-pitched toot they make. Aftermarket horns are for pissing moron minivan drivers off and feeling smug about it after the fact.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts