Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been driving my 2017 RAV4 Hybrid Limited (in black/black with Advanced Technology Package, cargo cover, carpeted floor mat, rear bumper applique, and roof rack cross bars). I bought from Toyota Carlsbad and had to wait nearly two months for the car to come from Japan.

I bought this car because I want something nice to hand down to my daughter in a couple of years. She chose this car and is extremely happy with the choice. It was not an easy car to find. At the time of my search the number of 2017 Hybrid Limiteds in Southern California could be counted on with a few fingers, and since I wanted black/black it was even harder to find. They all seem to be shipped with the same "options" as I describe above. I told the dealer that I didn't want the roof rack cross bars but was told that they all ship with the cross bars.

I was fortunate in that my local dealer (Toyota Carlsbad) was expecting exactly what I wanted if I wanted to wait about two months. I put down a non-refundable deposit ($500) and then I waited. I also spoke to dealers in Silicon Valley (I travel up there on business) and was told that it will be tough to get what I want without waiting.

I'm not going to tell you that I got a great deal. All of the dealers that I spoke with indicated that the slump in hybrid sales has caused Toyota to lower hybrid production. The vehicle I purchased was the first 2017 RAV4 Hybrid Limited my dealer received.

The negotiated price for the vehicle was $36,300; out the door, including tax, license, document processing charge ($80 to the dealer) and electronic vehicle registration ($29 to a third party) I paid $39,662.15. I didn't have a trade-in.

So far I like the vehicle with a few quibbles:
- The front passenger seat on the highest trim model should be a power seat.
- There is way too much cheap plastic.
- The owner's manual references too many things that aren't included with the car, e.g., heated steering wheel.
- The finish (body and glass) is definitely lower quality that what I expect. Any dust that touches the car clings to the slight surface imperfections rather than being blown off as the car drives. I'm comparing to my 2006 Hyundai Azera and they aren't even in the same ballpark - I've got to dust the Toyota every night.

I definitely like the gas mileage. I've yet to drive in Eco or Sport modes but I can easily get 40+ mpg in normal driving (the car has yet to be on the freeway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congrats to you and your daughter.

ECO VS SPORT MODE
In regards to sport vs eco modes, you can surely tell the difference between the two. So far I've noticed sport mode assisting us while getting on to the freeway. We can get up to 65 mpg and merge effortlessly. Eco mode lags but not with saving gas milage. Not that you have to worry about gas milage with the Rav4 Hybrid, because I've read/heard this car does wonders on MPG's.

Regarding the price, True car average price is $32,843 compared to msrp $34,970. Note that's without the Advanced Technology Package. So your correct, you did not get a deal. However, that is a sweet hybrid unique in its class with safety features worth driving. My girlfriend and I purchased the XLE without Advanced Technology Package for a price point closer to 27K. We also used True Car invoice price and the December $1,000 offer. We like the car and its safety features that are applied to the base model as well.

IF I COULD GO BACK TO THE DEALER I'D GET A HYBRID
I'd like a hybrid and originally wanted a hybrid. Everyone kept telling me don't get one, there not worth the money, not in gas, not in insurance, and they can pinch the bank. So they say its not worth it. I completely disagree!

The hybrid is worth in for one simple reason. I don't have to spend time at the gas pump. Call me crazy, but time is money and that money is worth my time. O well!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts