Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I come to this fourm under certain negative circumstance. Our 2006 Rav4 needs a new engine.

I am usually a Subaru gearhead in terms of wrenching, however, I also own a Tundra and appreciate the Toyota quality.

Great to be here.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
Welcome! Sorry to hear about the need for a new engine - what has happened to cause that situation?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Blogson,

Well, the wife and I were driving the back roads in the heat of summer, having a conversation while the child was asleep, music up, 30+ degree weather.

I wasn't actually watching the temp guage until it was too late, when we were down on power and the engine began making a wretched sound, the temp guage jumped back and forth from Extreme to Nill.

We were in the middle of nowhere, we had RAV towed to Toyota for the quick report- no compression.

We decided to take it home instead of investigating any further.

At home, it is discovered the timing chain is no longer connected, so the sound I get when turning it over is just of the starter spinning.

I imagine all sort of DOHC damage within.

·
Registered
9,027 Posts
The RAV engines are non-interference so there shouldn't have been any contact between the valves and the pistons, timing chain or no timing chain. The no-compression situation would be expected with nothing to close the valves. Whether the engine is or isn't frozen can be checked by attempting to turn the crankshaft pulley manually. If it isn't frozen then it possibly could be repairable without having to replace the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This sounds promising!
I guess it is possible the sound we heard was that of the timing chain coming apart rather than the valves and pistons crunching together.
I was under the impression it was an interference DOHC.

Thank goodness for that!

I will be checking on this weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts