Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2015 RAV4 LE AWD. I was also looking at a Subaru Outback, but I think the RAV4 came out as a better deal.

I live on a hill with a curvy driveway that often gets covered in snow and ice in winter, and sometimes nasty mud in spring. I have managed to get up and down over the years in my Saturn with Blizzak tires, but that poor car is making expensive transmission noises and I would really rather have all four wheels pulling. There were times when I had to use my Bobcat to rescue the Saturn.

So in the first few days, I happen to go past a radar speed sign and notice that the number is way too low. I had an indicated 40 and the sign said 36. With my other vehicles, the sign and speedo are off by one usually. This led me to further testing with that sign and my GPS, and it looks like my speedo reads 6.5% too high. I call the service guy, and his "acceptable" numbers say that anything under 8% error is "we don't care".

My search for some remedy led me to this site, and I am starting to dig in to all the collective wisdom. I am beginning to lose hope for a speedometer calibration, but I am happy to find a forum of enthusiasts just for this model.

I am also on the lookout for information on inexpensive transponder keys, preferably without the three buttons. It looks like the factory key is GQ4-52T, but if anyone has a part number for one without the buttons, I would be glad to learn that.

Thanks, all!

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Welcome, and hope that you enjoy your new RAV. The speedo error is a concern - will Toyota pay the fine if one is cited for speeding (some jurisdictions have a near-zero speed tolerance)? My 4.3 RAV speedo error is about 1 mph at an indicated 60 mph according to static radar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts