Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

New to the forums and new to the Toyota family (kinda).

Two weeks ago I purchased my first new car, a 2017 RAV4 Limited. Found this forum while lurking around and decided to join and make some fellow RAV4 friends.

I'm new to owning a Toyota, however I have been working on them for about 10 months now as a night technician. Although I'm only considered a "lube tech", I am familiar with servicing these vehicles and may be able to answer any questions you might have.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,716 Posts
Hey everyone,

New to the forums and new to the Toyota family (kinda).

Two weeks ago I purchased my first new car, a 2017 RAV4 Limited. Found this forum while lurking around and decided to join and make some fellow RAV4 friends.

I'm new to owning a Toyota, however I have been working on them for about 10 months now as a night technician. Although I'm only considered a "lube tech", I am familiar with servicing these vehicles and may be able to answer any questions you might have.
Welcome to RAV4World! OK "lube tech", answer me this: Why does my dealership overfill my 2008 V6 with oil? They are consistent, always filling it about 1/4th of an inch over on the dipstick. And they always charge me for 7 quarts of oil when 6 will do. Yes, the specs say 6.2 quarts but that makes it overfilled.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to RAV4World! OK "lube tech", answer me this: Why does my dealership overfill my 2008 V6 with oil? They are consistent, always filling it about 1/4th of an inch over on the dipstick. And they always charge me for 7 quarts of oil when 6 will do. Yes, the specs say 6.2 quarts but that makes it overfilled.
We follow charts with specifications. Each car comes with a code, for example: 2AR-FE (For Camry's and RAV4's). 2AR-FE calls for 4.6 quarts of synthetic oil, which means 5 quarts of oil from parts. We put in extra oil because when the car starts, oil moves to the filter. This causes for the oil level to drop on the dipstick. We add the extra oil to make sure the dipstick reads full, as well as have the filter full with oil.

This is what we do at our dealership, I can't really talk for other locations. For a car that's specified to have 4.6 quarts, we put in all 5 quarts.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
My dealership uses bulk oil for oil changes and still overfills my V6 RAV 1/4 inch on the dipstick as described by JuneBug. Using bulk oil it would seem that the lube techs easily could be more precise. Also if the crankshaft splash lubricates parts of the engine interior overfilling the crankcase would reduce gas mileage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My dealership uses bulk oil for oil changes and still overfills my V6 RAV 1/4 inch on the dipstick as described by JuneBug. Using bulk oil it would seem that the lube techs easily could be more precise. Also if the crankshaft splash lubricates parts of the engine interior overfilling the crankcase would reduce gas mileage.
We only use bulk oil for conventional vehicles, 5W-30. And even then, we ask for the exact amount, or half a quart over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts