Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm removing the blown 2L engine from my 2003 Rav4 and gonna pick up a used one from a salvage yard to replace it with. I've removed almost every thing holding the bad engine and gonna drop it down to get it out. There's only the left and right motor mounts left holding it up.

But for the life of me can't figure out how to disconnect the engine wiring harness to the black fuse box mounted on top of the driver's side fender??? I don't want to damage the wiring harness because I'm not sure if the salvage yard engine comes with a good harness? Can someone explain what I'm missing on disconnecting the harness. Thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I did my engine swap, I disconnected the wires from every component on the engine and left the harness in the car, you have to do this anyway since you are doing a swap. You may also have to remove the intake manifold while the engine is still in the car to get the wires off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciate your input Lid 'en, was hoping I could disconnect the harness and then remove each connector when the engine was out of the chassis. Your suggestion probably is my best alternative.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've never been under the hood of a second generation so this may not help.

The last Toyota engine I pulled, I unbolted that box and took it out with the engine.
The last time I saw that engine the fuse-box was still sitting on top the engine.

But may not work in all cases.

Good luck with the swap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine/Trans Out

Decided the best way was to disconnect all the engine electrical connectors and leave the wiring harness in the Rav4. Seems like there's a ton of plugs to reconnect when I re-install the next engine but so goes progress...I guess!!! Thanks to those who had input on this decision.:nerd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts