Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently failed the emission test, everything is fine except when the car is turn on, the check engine light will NOT TURN ON. Is there any way I can test if the light is working at all??

I have a 2008 Toyota Rav4. The instrument cluster is LED, some are telling me unlike the old instrument cluster there is no bulb to change, is that true? I have checked all the fuse and they all seem fine. All the other warning light are working, it's just the check engine light. I am the only owner of the car so it is not tempered.

I don't want to go replace the whole new panel because of one light, anyone has any idea what's going on???

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
You said it failed the emission test, did they give you a code? To verify the check engine light is working, place a jumper or paper clip between pins 4 and 13 on the OBD port like this:

Then, turn the ignition key to ON. The check engine light should come on and flash a code. If not, then you could have a bad instrument cluster. A good electronics tech could check the LED, and if it's burned out, replace it. If not, then you would need to replace the cluster. Toyota calls it the Combination Meter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts