Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Group

I have a 2009 RAV4 V6 AWD with 90,000 miles on it. I am not sure what is wrong with it.
I changed the tires very recently (1000 miles) and I did not notice the sound
right at the time but now the wheel noise when driving has become progressively
louder. I can't tell where it is coming from. I first suspected the tires were faulty. I suspect the wheel bearings or maybe transmission.

I lifted the car with a jack (one corner at a time). The rear wheels do not rock back and forth, up or down. The front seems to rock left to right but I just checked and it is that I am actually turning the wheel on the other side as well. I try to rotate the from wheel and cannot turn more that about 5 degrees because it is engaged to the other wheel.. Is that to be expected on an AWL? I put it in neutral and I can turn the wheel but I feel it turning a whole shaft. I do not hear any bad scraping sound when doing this but it is not silent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
transmission whine?

Things to add about the problem. The car has an automatic transmission.
The sound does seem to come from the front but can't tell if it is the left or right wheel. The noise is related to wheel speed. Transmission and car functions fine, just noisy when moving. How noisy. definitely annoying but not screaming. I need to get it fixed right away. I am reading about the transmission whine. Maybe that is what I have.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Have you done anything with the tires yet?(rotate them etc). If not and you have a good spare, replace one tire at a time with the spare and go for a ride.(tedious, but effective). If the noise disappears, you've found the culprit. If not, have a shop check for bearing noises.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
A wheel bearing is usually pretty easy to figure out......get driving down the road to a speed that makes the noise.....then turn the wheel left or right....doesn't need to be a lot.....if the pitch changes or the noise goes away then you have a bad wheel bearing......while this may not be the scientific way it has served me well.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update:
It turned out to be my from drivers side wheel bearing. I had it replaced and
the noise is all gone.
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts