Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the schematic of the 2010 OEM remote starting system so I can try to repair it. I have the manual on the unit installation, but no schematic. The car responds to everything it should respond to, and the starter clicks audibly, and the ignition and dash turn on, but the starter doesn't start the car. It did work last winter. Any chance for a schematic and/or advice?

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I am looking for the schematic of the 2010 OEM remote starting system so I can try to repair it.
I don't think there *is* an "OEM [Toyota] remote starting system." I thought they were all aftermarket, even if a Toyota dealer sold it and installed it.

?

Could your RAV4's battery be older and in need of replacement? Poor/weak battery performance has been known to cause all kinds of strange problems. Maybe that's all it is?

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,513 Posts
I don't think there *is* an "OEM [Toyota] remote starting system." I thought they were all aftermarket, even if a Toyota dealer sold it and installed it.

?
Oh yes there is...it's called the Toyota VIP Remote Starter. We have all the relevant files here on RAV4World:

VIP Remote Starter schematic wo/SMART KEY T-ADG-0350-D.pdf 144 KB 05/29/08
VIP Remote Starter schematic w/SMART KEY T-ADG-0351-D.pdf 132 KB 05/29/08
VIP Remote Starter Troubleshooting w/SMART KEY T-ADG-0723-W.pdf 373 KB 01/18/06
VIP Remote Starter Troubleshooting wo/SMART KEY T-ADG-0724-W.pdf 3.9 MB 04/17/09
VIP Remote Starter Installation w/o SMART KEY T-AI-0603-D.pdf 3.7 MB 08/24/10
VIP Remote Starter Installation w/SMART KEY T-AI-0375-D.pdf 3.2 MB 08/27/10
VIP Remote Starter Owner's Guide T-ADG-0830-D.pdf 590 KB 06/28/10

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Check under the hood....could be a pin or tilt sensor....check brake wire since that could also cause it not to engage the starter....also check the fuses on the remote starter unit......if those check out good then most likely the unit itself is toast......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rss

much thanks to all for help and ideas.

Oh yes there is...it's called the Toyota VIP Remote Starter. We have all the relevant files here on RAV4World:

VIP Remote Starter schematic wo/SMART KEY T-ADG-0350-D.pdf 144 KB 05/29/08
VIP Remote Starter schematic w/SMART KEY T-ADG-0351-D.pdf 132 KB 05/29/08
VIP Remote Starter Troubleshooting w/SMART KEY T-ADG-0723-W.pdf 373 KB 01/18/06
VIP Remote Starter Troubleshooting wo/SMART KEY T-ADG-0724-W.pdf 3.9 MB 04/17/09
VIP Remote Starter Installation w/o SMART KEY T-AI-0603-D.pdf 3.7 MB 08/24/10
VIP Remote Starter Installation w/SMART KEY T-AI-0375-D.pdf 3.2 MB 08/27/10
VIP Remote Starter Owner's Guide T-ADG-0830-D.pdf 590 KB 06/28/10

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking to install an oem remote start on my 2009 rav4 sport v6 would this be the correct one to purchase PT398-42110. Also any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Judger, Do you find that the remote starter only start the vehicle when it is warm? And it will refuse to start when the temperature goes below 10F? From reading a lot of forum and also the technical paper on troubleshooting this kind of RES, the problem lies on the Gateway-ECU. I had the same Toyota VIP RES in my 2006-V6 and it works for the first 4 years and after that it fail to start when the temp goes down. I narrowed it down to the Gateway-ECU. I did that putting a 25ohm inside the ECU box and wiring 12V to it on a very cold morning. The heat generated by the resistor warms up the circuit board and componenet enough for it to remote start. So the data from the CAN-BUS network did not get process properly when passing thru the gateway ECU and therefore it could not send the proper start data to the RES ECU. After much playing around with it, I finally bite the bullet and rip it out and bought an aftermarket RES from Idatastart. The install was pretty straight forward. The Toyota OEM RES comes with a complete wire harness that was easily patch over to the Idatastart module. I only needed to string 3 extra wires; 2 to the immobilizer ECU and one to the light switch control. Everything else was patch to the Toyota RES wiring harness which save me a lot of time soldering wires to the key switch cylinder.

The idatastart will work with your OEM keyfob by hitting the LOCK button 3 times quickly to start the car. YOu can also opt for 1-way or 2-ways aftermarket FOB that will have a rangeof over 1500ft compare to 80 to 100 feet for the OEM FOB. This RES will also support Takeover which do not turn off the engine when the door is unlock or open.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am looking to install an oem remote start on my 2009 rav4 sport v6 would this be the correct one to purchase PT398-42110. Also any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Yes that model is for your year of vehicle. Is it a new unit and if it is, would you be able to verify that it comes with a updated Gateway-ECU? It is hard to tell just from the box. If the date of manufacture is in 2009, then I would caution you that it may not work properly when the temperature drop under 10F. There is a TSB for this problem on this website. I had one in my 2006 and it quit working when cold after about 4 years. Toyota answer was.. too bad. They want C$198.00 plus one hour labour to fix it.

Investigate on an aftermarket unit if possible. There is one brand out there that includes an immobilizer bypass as well as the RES in one box slighly longer than a laptop hard drive. You can buy it without remote FOB or with 1-way or 2-ways FOB. This unit will work with your Toyota OEM keyFOB too. Hardy for those who ddo not like to carry another keyfob in their pocket.

·
Super Moderator
9,413 Posts
Judger, Do you find that the remote starter only start the vehicle when it is warm?
Note that judger's only two posts were from January of 2015.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to buy a 2012 rav4 limited v6 and i wanted to know if there is a way i can check if the car Has VIP RES through the VIN number? If not, how much would cost to buy all the hardware to install it myself?

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I am trying to buy a 2012 rav4 limited v6 and i wanted to know if there is a way i can check if the car Has VIP RES through the VIN number? If not, how much would cost to buy all the hardware to install it myself?
Ask your dealer if your car has a remote starter or press your fob to start it. The factory remote starter uses the factory fob. I think these cost over $400. A better remote starter that is plug and play is this one for your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts