Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a hard time of removing my spare tire for my rav4.....actually i ask help from my dealer and they told me to leave the rav4 at their shop for the whole night because they need to heat up that tire cover so that they can remove the cover. :x

do you guys have a hard time to remove your spare tire cover?

btw, i check the manual how to remove the cover tire and there is no "clip" (?) on my cover tire. its like a frozen garter on my existing cover tire :?:

·
Registered
771 Posts
Hard plastic cover like mine? or Soft cover?

The hard one has a release on the bottom but you need to push up on the cover to pop out the tabs holding it in on the top. The soft one I can't help you with but shouldn't be rocket science. Maybe a couple of straps in behind or just elastic.

My cover is easy to remove. I release the bottom and the clips at the top don't go down far so they pop out pretty easy. In fact if I drive through one of those automatic carwashes.....at the end when they have the Jet Dryer, it almost blows the cover off of the tabs at the top. I have to check it everytime. Good thing I don't use it often.

Hope you get the cover thing resolved. Nothing worse than being out in the rain and getting a flat and having to frig around with something that should be a piece of cake. Hate it when that happens!

Later.M. :roll:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the soft cover is the worst. and heating it up will help. what you really need to do it pry them off and spray something slick inside and then put it back on. i haven't done it yet but i hear that armourall is great for this. the problem is that these are designed to strech around the tire but the inside surface of the cover is a tacky rubber and sticks to the tire(also a tacky rubber i hear) like glue. but generally taking it off is easier than putting it on just work the elastic out around the tire and peel it back.

·
Registered
471 Posts
is this the first time u remove the cover?? I had problems with removing my softcover because the spare had way more air in it then it suppost to.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Never had any problems taking it off, it's the putting it back on while it's cold outside part that's a pain. Pull off the bottom first, all the elastic is on the top.

I don't know if you should go spraying lubricant on a tire...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my tire cover is hard plastic type, i cant find any clip to release the tire cover.

i dont know if i need to stretch that rubber. i might damage it or break that hard rubber if i do that.

any more info guys.

thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is no clip after you've taking the latch off the bottom. What you do is to pull the bottom where the lock is and swing the cover up. There's 2 plastic clips at the top that holds it there so you should be able to pull the bottom up about 20cm. Then you can undo the top notches. Press the black plastic that's between the tyres and the rear door (the back panel basically) to help get the top bit off.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
nouse4aname said:
Never had any problems taking it off, it's the putting it back on while it's cold outside part that's a pain. Pull off the bottom first, all the elastic is on the top.

you don't spray on the tire you spray on the inside of the tire cover.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
lawrant said:
nouse4aname said:

you don't spray on the tire you spray on the inside of the tire cover.
Which would end up on the tire...especially say when you took the cover off to put the tire on the car?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Armourall won't make any difference on the surface of the tire anyway in regards to safety. Think about it.......you run over oil on the road everyday and have you had an accident because of that yet? The "lubricant" that is sprayed on the tire would last about 20 seconds on the road if you did have to use your spare.

We drive through worse all the time but not much effects it unless you spray oil as you drive but that would be Nuts.

Later. M. :lol:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
zoomie said:
i think the clips are located at the 10 '0 clock and 2 o clock positions. they're more like tabs than clips.
there is no clip or tabs or lock.

i think i have to remove it by pulling that garter rubber (?). :cry:

·
Registered
682 Posts
sounds like he has a plastic disc and stretch vinyl cover? if the cover has been put on it must come off as putting on is harder than taking off.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mohit said:
sounds like he has a plastic disc and stretch vinyl cover? if the cover has been put on it must come off as putting on is harder than taking off.
u got it bro! plastic disc and stretch vinyl cover. :cry:

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this stretch vinyl was the one i am talking about... the easiest way to get it off is from the bottom and pulling upwards, around the tire. at first i thought it was impossible too however once you get the technique it becomes quite easy. the hard part really is putting it back on. :shock:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts