Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

So my coolant was low in my 2010 rav4 and I usually use the Pink toyota coolant but i didn't have any today so I used green high quality ethylene glycol polar 50/50 antifreeze coolant and deionized water. Will adding the polar coolant to my pink coolant mess up anything? should I drain it all out and use Toyota? I just heard that mixing coolants can cause it to gel. The manual says use anything that's high quality ethylene glycol based and deionized water.

thank you all

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
If the green coolant is not ethylene glycol compatible just drain it and then add with the proper coolant. Remember half the coolant is in in the engine block. Without a flush you only drain half of it. When you flush it with water the engine block will then be filled with water.

Flush it first without the plug.
Fill with water with the plug in.
Circulate the water by running the engine with the heater on high.
Drain all the coolant out.
Add proper concentrate coolant.
The result will be 50/50 mixture.
Check coolant mixture with coolant tester.

·
Registered
8,381 Posts
If you used a coolant which meets Toyota specs as in the Owner's Manual the color doesn't matter. It will be fine and the only downside is cosmetic in that the mixed color will appear strange.All coolants which meet Toyota specs are compatible. Suggest for peace of mind looking at the mixed coolants in the overflow reservoir and stirring with a clean instrument, and if there were any problem it would be apparent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts