Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Total car newbie here.

I have a 2010, 4 Cylinder Rav4. While adding coolant yesterday I noticed this hose directly to the right of the coolant tank. It looks like two hoses taped together (both ribbed,o ne one smooth). The smooth hose has a couple cracks where it bends and the blue (plug? fuse?) it attaches to looks frayed or damaged.

Does anyone know what these hoses are and if I should be alarmed by the cracks? I searched the manual but the hoses weren't identified in there.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
That crack that I can see is the smooth cover taped to the ribbed cover is just a wire insulator. Over time it probably dried out and cracked. Should not be a huge issue but if you are concerned about it...use some weather grade black electrical tape and wrap it around it.

If it were me I wouldn't touch it though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That crack that I can see is the smooth cover taped to the ribbed cover is just a wire insulator. Over time it probably dried out and cracked. Should not be a huge issue but if you are concerned about it...use some weather grade black electrical tape and wrap it around it.

If it were me I wouldn't touch it though.
View attachment 151522
Do you happen to know what these wires are or what they're connected to by chance?

·
Registered
91 Posts
They are correct, it a wire loom and is used to protect wiring. It looks fine. It could be going to a sensor for water temperature. I am wondering why you are adding water though. Does it have a leak? Did you overfill it above the gold line. I had a 2010 for 10 years and never had to add a drop. If it needs filling often, check for leaks around and under engine area.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,613 Posts
What about this blue wire? It sure looks skinned to me! What sensor is that plug for?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
What about this blue wire? It sure looks skinned to me! What sensor is that plug for?
Holy out of the darkness Batman! :-D

A better pic would be nice but I could see the ? on that part myself. I dismissed it as debris. If that is indeed copper than that sensor needs replaced or someone more crafty can possibly repair the wire...but thats pretty close to the sensor connector.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Holy out of the darkness Batman! :-D

A better pic would be nice but I could see the ? on that part myself. I dismissed it as debris. If that is indeed copper than that sensor needs replaced or someone more crafty can possibly repair the wire...but thats pretty close to the sensor connector.

What do you think?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Safe. Yes. But as @JuneBug pointed out something tore the insulation and broke a couple strands of the copper. The part most likely still functions fine but the wire is exposed to the elements and will eventually degrade/corrode and probably get brittle. It could last you a long long time honestly.

Sometimes harnesses can be prices although that's a single wire with connector. So I would think a tech should be able to fix it cheaply.

If it were me I would heat it up with a little solder and tape it up. But thats the cheapo out. LOL!

·
Super Moderator
9,892 Posts
You could also hit it with a large dab of RTV, enough to both protect it and glue it to the sensor for strain relief.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
There is also a product called liquid tape and is perfect for this application. The strands broken are not an issue. The sensor draws very little current.
Ha! I never knew such a thing existed and looked it up online. Thats cool. You learn something new every day!

That would would be a super cheap solution.

Also @Dr. Dyno's suggestion would work as well and would be even cheaper.

·
Registered
961 Posts
That appears to be an oil pressure sensor and all of the sensor lead back to the computer so if that wire gets worse, you will either get a check engine light or some sort of displayed message representing the loss of signal fro that sensor. If I'm correct and it is the oil pressure sensor, there is a Low Oil Pressure light on the dash board. It looks like a oil can with a bit of oil dripping from the spout. In your picture, it does appear that most of the copper wire is untouched so it might be fine as long as there is no further damage done. If your adventurous and have a bit of mechanical ability, the dark blue area is a rubber plug. It might be possible to take the wire connection out of the connector and cut back the wire and solder it internally to the internal connection eliminating the damage. Keep in mind, if you're not familiar with taking one of these connector apart, you might do more damage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts