Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a hose hanging down on the drivers side, in front of the rear wheel. Upon further inspection I see that it is broken. Not sure what is supposed to be flowing threw it, but its dry now. Any help on identifying it? 2015.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Whatever it is if it is OEM it should be covered by your warranty. It looks like a slip joint situation which may be able to be reconnected by pulling the hose on the left in the second pic and slipping it into the hose on the right.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
Go to dealer, show them the problem, get it repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
731 Posts
That is the vent hose for your EVAP system. The warranty will probably not cover this since a road hazard most likely caused the break. The MIL will eventually turn on since the EVAP test will fail because of this leak. There is nothing dangerous about this, but it should be repaired so dirty air will not be introduced into the delicate EVAP system.

·
Registered
731 Posts
The repair needs to be airtight. Even a .020 leak will pop the MIL.

I have repaired these before by using a short section of 5/8" fuel vapor hose, well lubricated. I would get a piece about 3" long and mark it in the middle with something that won't rub off. I use some sandpaper on the end of the 5/8" repair hose to slightly taper the ends so they will not get hung on the convolutes of the plastic EVAP line.Push one end in on one section of the broken hose up to the mark, and then shove the other end in up to the mark on the other part of the break, making sure the hose does not movie inside the broken line that has already been hosed :) Then wrap it with silicone tape.

Don't use heater hose or anything that is not fuel resistant. You don't want pieces flaking off over time and clogging the EVAP system.

Reactions: pizzim13

·
Registered
210 Posts
Does not look like there is any other damage indicating a strike from a road hazard. If that break is as clean as it looks, I would be at the dealer insisting that it be repaired under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
11,459 Posts
I agree with Iron Bender. It's possible that the hose was just too short or installed incorrectly and broke from being overly stressed. I'd go to the dealer about it without a second thought.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
Does not look like there is any other damage indicating a strike from a road hazard. If that break is as clean as it looks, I would be at the dealer insisting that it be repaired under warranty.

I also agree. Doesn't appear to be road hazard damage, but the break is clean and straight..

Reactions: CB91710
1 - 9 of 9 Posts