Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, I've been reading a few days. Shopping for the wife and going between the CR-V and RAV. I never owned a Toyota but have had Honda's in the past and think they're two of the best you can buy. Ultimately it's her decision because it's her vehicle but I reseach things to death and don't want a repeat of her last purchase. She had an Intrepid for 7 years and when it was time for it to go she bought another one that she hated within a month. She wants to go back to an SUV (had and Explorer in '92) I've been over to the Honda forums reading and they don't take to kindly to Rav's (understandably) We both prefer the body styling of the Rav and aren't overly excited with the interior look yet. The Rav seems much roomier and better appointed. Some are saying the Honda's a better deal but IMO, Honda cut a few corners to keep the price down. The manual seat height adjustment is a joke. My biggest concern is the AWD of both. We live in Buffalo and it occassionally snows in Buffalo. We consider anything less than a foot a dusting. I drive a Chevy Avalanche and when I put it in 4 wheel drive, it's in 4 wheel drive. Power to all wheels just the way I want it. Having to have the front wheels slop before the rear wheels get power doesn't seem right to me. If I'm not mistaken, if she's cruising down the road and hits a nasty patch that causes her to slip a little, she'd have to goose it a little to make the front wheels break loose to get extra power in the back. If that's correct, it seems quite unnatural to me. If I start to slide the first thing I do is come off the gas and my truck rights itself. I'm hoping you good people can help put my mind at ease because in spite of the fact I've been partial to Honda's in the past, I'm really leaning towards the Rav because of overall design details and the V6 is pretty attractive too. The Rav seems like it has much more thought into the design than the CR-V and more attention to detail. After running dealer seasrches and build options it looks like we'll be going to Pa to get one if we (she) decides on a Rav. We're (I'm) looking at a V6 Sport in Mica. She wanted leather but wants a darker interior so it'll be charcoal cloth. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, I can't say anything about how the AWD works besides saying that the car does have an AWD lock button. Of course, that wouldn't really help in the situation you describe since the lock button disengages at 25MPH. I have owned the previous generation CRV and have ridden quite a bit in my parents current generation CRV and can tell you it is a good car. But it does not have the refinement or power of the '06 Rav4. I had a similar reaction between the Sienna and Odyssey when shopping for minivans last year. Mind you, up until now we have been a Honda only family. The Sienna has sold us on Toyota so much that the Rav4 will be our next car. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

One thing to consider. I've read on some of the boards that the '07 CRV being released later this year will be a new design. It might be more competition for the new Rav4. Honda certainly did a nice job with the new Civic. If you can hold of until this fall, you might have more choices.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
If a rav starts to slide the computer takes over and allows steering in the right direction only, the throtle closes and the brakes apply to the outside tires to stop the truck from rotating. Its foolproof and generations ahead of an Avalanch. No comparison. Its a SAFE vehicle

R

·
0 Posts
When we went to the car show in our area...for the fun of it, we sat in the CR-V. It definitely wasn't nearly as comfortable as the RAV...as large as the RAV...as pretty as the RAV...and, as classy as the RAV. :)

Of course, I'm partial to RAVs! :)

Good luck with your new purchase...I don't think you would be disappointed if you were to get the RAV.

J

·
0 Posts
Is there a similar forum for the CRV. I would love to read what they are saying about the new RAV4. :roll:

·
Registered
4,560 Posts
Having owned 2 Hondas (Integra and Accord) and 2 Toyotas (Celica and 4-Runner) I can tell you that there's a HUGE difference between the two automakers. I'm sure you've read the specs and heard all the arguments between the two vehicles, but there's also things that you find out once you've actually owned the vehicles.

Given I don't own a Rav4 yet....

My impression is that the Toyota is the safe car to buy. Lasts longer and the details are better and cleaner. Things fit better and everything seems solid. Paint job is better and the panes are harder to dent. Toyota engines are work horses and are proven though years and years and years of use (i.e. SR5 engines have been in Toyotas for as long as I've owned one).

On the other hand, Hondas are more fun oriented. They don't have the same boring old people look. They tend to have cars that are more meant for drivers as feedback from the road is good (some don't like it as it's too loud or too touchy, etc). They also tend to have more aftermarket parts (if you are in to those kind of things). With their cars, you don't really notice the corner cutting until after a few washes or if like me, when you start modding the car.

Just as an example, my 4-Runner is a 1990 and runs like a champ... chews a lot of gas but is still strong and drives great. Nothing rattles and is very solid. I've fixed one problem which is that the rear springs were too soft and short.

On the otherhand, the Accord has been to the dealer for recalls twice and I've already had to replace the front rotor due to a community known issue. Though the Accord is rated higher in almost all opinionated reviews than the Camry, to me, it's worse because the problems don't surface until after a few years.

So which one should you get? Unless there's a feature you can't live without, I would definitely go Toyota. But no matter what you decide, you can't make a better choice between the two.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you buy now yuor SUV goto RAV4, Honda cannot even get close to new RAV4. But it you wait year or two, it mid be Honda.

Honda is not bad car, but my self I didn't like desing on it, when I got my first SUV "RAV4 2003".

-JS-

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Toyrav -

If you decide on the RAV4, and you say that you are in the Buffalo area, click on the Basil Toyota link at the top of the Forums page and contact Kristi, they have been selling RAV's for $500 over invoice. They are in Lockport. :)

OC

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
I was also a die hard Honda man until about 5 years ago. I have own 3 Honda and Acuras. Honda still makes the best engines but the quality control, material and interior have gone downhill in recent years. My last Acura, the MDX, was so poorly built that I traded it in after 30000 miles.
The 2006 RAV4 is in a class of its own, it is solid, roomy and the material used is first class. It has one of the best stability system on the market which makes the electronic 4WD system almost as good as some mechanical 4WD system. On the other hand, my old MDX had the electronic 4WD with stability control also and that thing was a mess in the snow.
I suppose you can wait til the 07 CRV to come out, but I would trust a first year model from Toyota alot more than I would a Honda. Take a look at the problem of the Odyssey in their first year and you will know what I mean.

K

·
0 Posts
I test drove both and the RAV is much more refined and better appointed. What's going on for CRV is that you can get a better deal (~2-3k?) on a CRV V4 vs RAV V4, if you bought today. CRV has side curtain airbags as a standard feature, and their V4 is a 5-speed automatic, vs RAV's 4-speed. Both use electronically controlled 4WD; Honda calls theirs Real-Time AWD. Don't know if performance differs or is pretty close.

That aside, I did not even consider CRV after a test drive. RAV seems to be in a class of its own, especially with a V6.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, we test drove a V6 Sport tonight and the verdict is in.... The garage will be housing a new Rav4 soon. We'd like the power seats and little extra in the Limited but want a dark interior and favor the Flint Mica outside so it's probably going to be a Sport. My closest dealer quoted me $2000 over invoice so I'm sending Kristi a PM. BTW - The V6 is as quick as everyone says it is. I didn't really get the chance to step into it good, it came up to cruising speed so quickly and effortlessly. This will be mostly an around town truck so the 4 would be enough 95% of the time but a little extra is nice now and then.

B

·
0 Posts
Hey Toyrav!!!!

I'm waiting for the PM!!

OC you're a peach darling. :wink:

B

·
0 Posts
toyrav said:
Well, we test drove a V6 Sport tonight and the verdict is in.... The garage will be housing a new RAV4 soon.
I'm not a RAV4 owner yet, but I have test driven both the current CR-V and the 4 cyl RAV4.

IMO, the new RAV4 is definitely the better buy right now.

I really wanted to be impressed by the current CR-V, but I wasn't. It is not nearly as refined as the RAV4 even though it is cheaper. The CR-V design is just out of date by comparison. It will be very interesting to see what the 2007 CRV looks like, but it will surely hurt the resale value on the 2006 models.

Toyota's offering of the 3.5l V6 in both the RAV4 and the '07 Camery is seriously upping the ante for Honda. I'm sure Honda will respond but right now, Toyota seems to be where the smart money is going.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I am gonna have to agree with the majority here.. Hence the reason I ordered an 06 Limited Rav4..

I test drove both vehicles, the Limited 4cyl and the CRV SE..

They both had a comperable ride, no HUGE difference.. But the interior alone was enough to push me towards Toyota.. It has a much more refined and classy look to it.. CRV is still a bit sporty inside for my taste when you add the leather, it just looks all out of place due to the dash area.. I guess if you spend more money and get the stick on metal look trim it spruces it up a bit. But the shifter in the middle of the dash sticking out like a sore thumb and the emergency break where it is at is just odd and it looks that way also..

I used to be a HUGE Honda fan.. And I still am.. But comparing those 2 vehicles, I had to side with Toyota..

Also, dealer told me there is a big difference between the 4X4 on each vehicle.. The Honda's push 15% to each front wheel and 35% to each rear wheel. Where the Toyota's have an equal amount of distribution of 25% all the way around.

Also something about the engine is supposed to be better than the CRV.. Dual cam maybe?

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
There is no definative % of power to each wheel. Your dealer is incorrect. It depends on road conditions and which wheel slips.. The % for each wheel is always changing according to traction conditions. Quote from Toyota...

DESCRIPTION
. The 4WD system of the ’06 RAV4 uses an active torque control 4WD system.
. It is a compact, lightweight, and high performance 4WD system that optimally controls the torque
distribution to the front and rear wheels through the electric control coupling in the rear differential.
ACTIVE TORQUE CONTROL 4WD SYSTEM
1. General
. Based on information provided by various sensors, the 4WD ECU controls the amperage that is applied
to the electric control coupling, in order to transmit drive torque to the rear wheels when needed, and in
the amount needed. The following describes the features of the active torque control 4WD system.
Traction performance Realizes stable start-off and acceleration performance
Driving stability performance Realizes stable cornering performance
Fuel economy
Realizes better fuel economy by transmitting drive torque to the rear
wheels when needed, in the amount needed.

. A four-wheel drive lock switch has been provided. This enables the driver to select between the AUTO
and LOCK modes by operating the switch. The system optimally controls the torque distribution to the
front and rear wheels in the respective modes.
Mode
Four-wheel Drive
Lock Switch and
Indicator Light
Outline
AUTO OFF
. Optimally distributes drive torque to the front and rear wheels.
. Ensures optimal start-off performance during a start-off, based on
information provided by various sensors.
. Suppresses the tight corner braking phenomenon* during low-speed
cornering.
. Reduces the amount of torque distribution to the rear wheels and
improves fuel economy when the system judges that the vehicle is
traveling steadily.
. Disengages the 4WD during braking deceleration.
LOCK ON
. Distributes the maximum torque limit to the rear wheels.
. Distributes the maximum torque limit to the rear wheels during
start-off.
. Distributes optimal torque during low-speed cornering.
. Disengages the 4WD during braking deceleration.
. Disengages the LOCK mode and transfers to the AUTO mode when
the vehicle speed exceeds 40 km/h (25 mph).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts