Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I just looked at my 2000 (in storage; needed to put the battery charger on it anyway), and it does have that too. No wire out the back. There are part numbers on the side of the sensor-block facing the timing belt.

To me it looks like an accelerometer (so knock sensor) or a relay. I think someone on here posted about it years ago, so do some searching and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Regie, what year is your Rav4? I am betting it is a 1998-2000.

Several possiblities including "N 1 Noise Filter (Ignition System)".
The Toyota part number for the circled part is printed on it and is 90980-04130. The part number search engine at ToyoDIY.com says that this is a "radio setting condenser." "Condenser" is of course another name for a capacitor. The Toyota wiring schematics use a capacitor symbol for it. Of course, there may be more to this filter than just a capacitor.

I am seeing what LugNut is seeing in the 'part location' drawings in the wiring manuals for the 1998-2000 Rav4: That this is a noise filter for the ignition system. I think it improves the radio's performance. A person with user name "dogfriend" at a Toyota Prius forum commented that: "I believe that the purpose for the part is to act as a noise filter to filter out RF [radio frequency] noise from the ignition system." That is, it is helping the radio work better by filtering out noise from the ignition system? On a 1999 Camry schematic, one end connects to the ignition coils. The other end connects to ground via the bracket mounted to the engine block. I cannot quite nail it down on the Rav4 wiring schematics.

For the 1996-1997 Rav4, what appears to be this same noise filter (and also filtering noise from the ignition system) is mounted in a different location: on the firewall, near the top, on the vehicle's left side, adjacent to the igniter and ignition coil. One wire goes to ground and the other wire goes to just downstream of the ignition switch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The Toyota part number for the circled part is printed on it and is 90980-04130. The part number search engine at ToyoDIY.com says that this is a "radio setting condenser." "Condenser" is of course another name for a capacitor. The Toyota wiring schematics use a capacitor symbol for it. Of course, there may be more to this filter than just a capacitor.

I am seeing what LugNut is seeing in the 'part location' drawings in the wiring manuals for the 1998-2000 Rav4: That this is a noise filter for the ignition system. I think it improves the radio's performance. A person with user name "dogfriend" at a Toyota Prius forum commented that: "I believe that the purpose for the part is to act as a noise filter to filter out RF [radio frequency] noise from the ignition system." That is, it is helping the radio work better by filtering out noise from the ignition system? On a 1999 Camry schematic, one end connects to the ignition coils. The other end connects to ground via the bracket mounted to the engine block. I cannot quite nail it down on the Rav4 wiring schematics.

For the 1996-1997 Rav4, what appears to be this same noise filter (and also filtering noise from the ignition system) is mounted in a different location: on the firewall, near the top, on the vehicle's left side, adjacent to the igniter and ignition coil. One wire goes to ground and the other wire goes to just downstream of the ignition switch.
Its a rav4 98 model

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks Lugnut

1 - 12 of 12 Posts