Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2011 4 cyl Limited
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Rav4, 4 cyl gas

So my engine, or exhaust has decided to make this annoying Grrrrzzz when the vehicle is in a high gear at low RPM usually going up a hill. It started off not so bad maybe once a week, now it is almost constant up every hill. It stops when the car either downshifts or the RPMs go up.

I attached the link to a YouTube video my dash cam caught the noise. I am thinking perhaps an exhaust/heat shield issue? Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
That is rather loud - I would tend to agree with your diagnosis if the noise is coming from underneath and/or toward the front of your RAV4. Otherwise, something loose in the vehicle such as the jack and wheel wrench in back, or?

·
Registered
2011 4 cyl Limited
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is rather loud - I would tend to agree with your diagnosis if the noise is coming from underneath and/or toward the front of your RAV4. Otherwise, something loose in the vehicle such as the jack and wheel wrench in back, or?
Nothing loose, I am very OCD about rattles and noises in my vehicles. It is front of the passenger bay and feels low. You can feel the vibration coming through the floor at times.

·
Registered
2011 4 cyl Limited
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well update took it by my exhaust guy he inspected said it looked like all heat shields and exhaust were good to go. He is suspecting that is something to do with driveshaft... any ideas?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Some chance it could be the carrier bearing seizing up on the passenger side axle. The bearing is actually pressed on the axle and if that is failing, the entire axle should be replaced. Is this 2WD or 4WD? If the bearing is seized and is turning inside the housing, the housing bore could be ruined. This is rare but fits your description of noise under passenger side floorboard area. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2011 4 cyl Limited
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update took it to Toyota dealer because of my exhaust guy thinking drive shaft/ rear diff issue. I verified it would be free due to the TSB.

They claim it’s the transmission, but at the same time we’re unable to replicate the noise. They are just grasping at straws and wanted to try and rip me off. Tried to charge me a diagnosis fee and I had to escalate to manager to get this waived. Very disgusted by them.

New datapoint on the noise though is it only occurring in 4th gear. When I put the gear selector on 3rd or below and keep it there it’s quiet as a clam.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts