Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the misfortune jump starting my car with the opposite polarity. I have a 2009 Toyota RAV4 Sports. I replaced a bunch of fuses that were blown. I still need to replace the 140 alt fuse. I am trying to figure out what is still wrong with it. It will not start. It is displaying the following symptoms:

1. The radio will not turn on or display anything on the clock at all,
2. The air conditioning and heating system is not working at all in the aux position
3. When I hit the unlock button on the keypad the door does not open but it makes a beep. The other functions of the key fob do not work at all except the panic button
4. When I try to start the car, it does not make any sound at all. All of the lights on the dashboard do light up for the most part.
5. When I hit the lock and unlock button inside the car they do not work at all
6. All of the interior lights and headlights seem to work
7. The blinkers and wipers do not work in the aux position
8. The security light does flash, but stops doing so when the key is in the ignition
9. I replaced the battery with a new one, so voltage is not be an issue.

What I am wondering is if anyone has any suggestions. Do I just need to bring it in, does it sound like the ECM slash ECU Kama any insights at all. I will replace the 140 fuse tomorrow I am not sure if that will fix everything but I am doubtful. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
It will be hard to address all your problems at once, so lets start with the simplest circuit, and I think that some of the other problems will clear up by themselves.

There are only 2 fuses required to operate the starter motor. The 30A AM2 fuse located on the left side of the engine compartment (drivers side) and the 7.5A AM1 fuse located in the interior fuse panel, near the drivers left knee. I expect one or both of these fuses is blown. The 140A ALT fuse should not stop the engine from starting.

EDIT: The transmission also has to be in Park or Neutral.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks forthe insight. The AM1 fuse does appear to be blown. While I can't see a disconnect, the fuse is warped and almost looks burned. I was planning on replacing it at the same time as the 140a fuse. Unfortunately the Toyota parts department isn't open on Sunday, so I can't get the 140a fuse. I will certainly keep you posted. This is a great forum.

I was also wondering if it's possible to use a 120a instead of a 140a in the interim. They are more readily available and a mechanic friend suggested it and offered me 1. Nonetheless I could imagine it would burn out much easier and just cause problems.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again for the help. I was able to get it working after replacing the 140a alt fuse. I also replaced a 7.5 amp fuse that wasn't vital.
That being said,it is very tedious and tricky to replace the 140a alt fuse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts