Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need some help, last Friday I get back my RAV4 from the dealer service. It was at the dealer because I had an accident, basically a [FONT=&quot]landslide drop in front on my car at the moment my speed was around 80Km/h. The car went over a big stone that basically hit the transmission case and crack it. The dealer install a new transmission case but I just realize that some oil leaks from the new case, Actually it looks like the new case has some sort of crack lines, I not sure about that but if anyone can help me to know what is going on I will really appreciate. I added some pictures.[/FONT]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
It appears that they did nothing.
Take it back.
Good luck!

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Agree with Pico. Trans. in pic. looks suspicious, like the dealer didn't do anything.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually I do see the new case before they installed was brand new the original was more damaged, how can they crack the new one I just can not belived, the total cost of this repair is around $10K. They change front bumber, totally exhaust system, suspention arms, and the transmission case.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Are you certain that it is a new transmission case and not one which the dealer got from an auto salvage yard?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cannot put my hands in fire about that. I will ask for evidences about that. I just drive the car for about 30min, good news is there is no oil leak, and bad news is that the front suspensions sound strange over irregular terrain, is not smooth like before. I will send back this car to the dealer and will send a complaint to the insurance to stop the pay of this until they fix all of this.

·
Super Moderator
10,153 Posts
What looks like cracks on the case may just be normal casting marks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A friend of my told me: think that around 95% of the construction of that car was made by robots in Japan not expect to have the same car that you owned before... that will not gonna happen!

Now I stated to belive in those words...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks Dr. Dyno, but that matter is new for me. When you said normal, means that all that transmission cases have that kind of marks?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,732 Posts
I remember when my Dodge Caravan had a shifting problem, the dealer decided to replace the transmission. They called and told me the transmission they ordered was cracked when they took it out of the crate and had to order another! So they sometimes get damaged in shipping.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Since you report that the supposedly new case leaks and I do not believe that the marks in the pics are casting marks I would suspect that the replacement case has cracks.

·
Registered
246 Posts
The first pictures you posted do not show us any cracks, those are sand casting marks with dirt on them. The mechanics most likely had dirty oil and grease on their hands and then wiped the trans down and the dirty oil and grease was grabbed by the high spots in the casting marks.

·
Super Moderator
10,153 Posts
Since you report that the supposedly new case leaks and I do not believe that the marks in the pics are casting marks I would suspect that the replacement case has cracks.
I just drive (drove) the car for about 30min, good news is there is no oil leak ....
Since the OP reports no leaks what he first saw must have been from a spill during repairs.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Since the OP reports no leaks what he first saw must have been from a spill during repairs.

I think that you're right. Since we haven't heard any more from the OP apparently all is OK.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Attachments

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Thanks for updating us and for the great pictures. Please let us know how it all works out. Will your insurance pay for the repairs?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah thanks God the insurance will cover the repair cost.

In other order of things do you know if there exist any way to prevent the exhaust to get rusted, Im not thinking about ceramic paint. May be some kind of High temp dressing or grease. Not sure if something like that exist or works.

·
Registered
8,538 Posts
Yeah thanks God the insurance will cover the repair cost.

In other order of things do you know if there exist any way to prevent the exhaust to get rusted, Im not thinking about ceramic paint. May be some kind of High temp dressing or grease. Not sure if something like that exist or works.
It's good to hear that your insurance paid for the repair cost.

The exhaust system is stainless steel, so you should not need to worry about rusting especially in Costa Rica. My RAV4 is '11 and so far there is no exhaust system rusting.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Missing cap

Finally my car drives sooth like it was before the accident. I don’t know if you are face the same situation when the dealer return your vehicle after a repair, but in my case I found that they usually return the car with less parts: for example some missing caps, fasteners etc.

Can someone please take a look to see if in your cars there is a cap in the valve that I showing in this picture, its looks like is an conditioned air pipe or something like that

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts