Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
I'm freaking out!
Nothing whatsoever is wrong with my Rav4!
(see sig)

LOL - maybe you would like to swap RAVs with someone who IS having problems! :wink

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
I'm freaking out!
(see sig)
I'm in the same boat! What ever will we do??

It's kinda boring owning a Toyota, isn't it?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
For you guys who are suffering so badly through this malady of boredom, I'm hesitant to offer help, but I bet I could talk my daughter into trading her '07 S60 2.5T with you so you can spice up your mechanical life again!

·
Registered
123 Posts
there's something wrong with mine...and I believe yours and a few others as well. We're missing the Toyota supercharger!!! :p

·
Registered
42 Posts
Amen to that!

there's something wrong with mine...and I believe yours and a few others as well. We're missing the Toyota supercharger!!! :p

If Toyota had offered a SC option on a 4-cyl RAV4, I would have bought a new one instead of the 2012 I bought to get the 6 cyl. engine. The 4-cyl. RAV4s just don't seem to have the power that is sometimes needed to merge safely with highway traffic or pass slow vehicles where the passing lanes are short. They are really nice SUVs, no doubt, but more oomph! is needed. My 2012 3.5L has no shortage of that. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
If Toyota had offered a SC option on a 4-cyl RAV4, I would have bought a new one instead of the 2012 I bought to get the 6 cyl. engine. The 4-cyl. RAV4s just don't seem to have the power that is sometimes needed to merge safely with highway traffic or pass slow vehicles where the passing lanes are short. They are really nice SUVs, no doubt, but more oomph! is needed. My 2012 3.5L has no shortage of that. :)
Yeah, after my mazda3, I was done with 4 cyl vehicles. I get it, they do save a bit on gas but to me it wasn't worth it. Thoroughly enjoy putting my V6 through its paces daily. :D

I think with any SUV, V6 would be the way to go.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yeah, after my mazda3, I was done with 4 cyl vehicles. I get it, they do save a bit on gas but to me it wasn't worth it. Thoroughly enjoy putting my V6 through its paces daily. :D

I think with any SUV, V6 would be the way to go.

Agreed, especially if one wants to tow anything over 1,000 or so lbs.

Alas, my Rav does not have the tow package installed but perhaps it can be modified at reasonable cost to be able to tow, say, 2500 or so lbs. That would be handy for various home, yard, and garden projects. I have a 1996 Dodge 1500 for such duty but it's a real gas hog and retiring it would be good.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Agreed, especially if one wants to tow anything over 1,000 or so lbs.

Alas, my Rav does not have the tow package installed but perhaps it can be modified at reasonable cost to be able to tow, say, 2500 or so lbs. That would be handy for various home, yard, and garden projects. I have a 1996 Dodge 1500 for such duty but it's a real gas hog and retiring it would be good.
That brought a smile, I have a 98 Dodge RAM 1500 that eats gas too..
my 2007 RAV4 is now my daily commuter and the RAM does yard work and mostly keeps the driveway company.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That brought a smile, I have a 98 Dodge RAM 1500 that eats gas too..
my 2007 RAV4 is now my daily commuter and the RAM does yard work and mostly keeps the driveway company.

Right back at ya! :smile

It's surprising how much gas a Dodge 1/2 ton can gobble. Mine is used around town and only gets about 11-12 mpg. I know guys with big block 3/4 and 1-ton trucks that get 10-12 mpg and that's a WAY bigger engine than my little 318.

My wife had a Plymouth Volare station wagon, a 1978 I think, that also had the 318 V8 and auto trans and it would get 22-23 mpg on a road trip and maybe 16-17 mpg around town. Must be a bad combo of weight and gears in the Dodge trucks. I sure do like the looks of their new PentaStar V6, though. 300 hp for work and 24-25 mpg on the road (without load or towing, of course). Still, that's one very efficient engine.

The F150 ecoboost trucks also look good for having good power and decent mileage. Spending $50k on a new truck doesn't ring my bell, however. :wink

·
Registered
131 Posts
Supercharger, yes please!!!......oh that's right Toyota decided to not make TRD options for this badass little rocket. Also, I'm sorry didn't mean to offend the 4banger owners on here with the "badass little rocket" comment.

·
Registered
42 Posts
A V-6 is an excellent all around car / SUV engine but a turbo-4 can be good too. Ford offers a 240 hp ecoboost 4-cyl. engine option in their Escape. If I was buying new, I would look long and hard at that one.

I know a lot of people complain about Fords but I have owned several and all gave good reliable service and didn't cost a small fortune to repair on the few occasions it needed repairing. Regular maintenance kept them rolling down the road just fine.

I have a 220 hp minimum requirement for the engines in my vehicles, so a 160-175 hp 4-cyl. just isn't gettin' it. I like the 3.5L V-6 engine a lot. It's a good one. I've read that some of the Toyota trucks are now using this instead of the 4.0L V-6 engine.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
I'm freaking out!
(see sig)
I hope to be freaking out too IF we can shake on a 2011 4WD V6 that I'm looking at currently... We'll find out this weekend, I'm praying my other half will like the way it drives since it's for her, otherwise, back to the drawing board!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hope to be freaking out too IF we can shake on a 2011 4WD V6 that I'm looking at currently... We'll find out this weekend, I'm praying my other half will like the way it drives since it's for her, otherwise, back to the drawing board!

Hopefully, she will like it just fine. It's a very well made SUV. It is nimble, small but solid, and does great in snow and ice. In-town mileage on the V-6 isn't that great but once it gets into over-drive, it does very well. I have gotten close to 30 mpg on road trips to the beach of about 250 miles round trip. Most of that was at 55-60 mph with the cruise control on. Around town, I am only getting about 17-18 mpg with lots of starting and stopping plus much use of the lower gears in the 5-spd auto trans.

I love the soft "thunk" sound that the doors make when closing them. That's a good sign of a well-made car, IMO. The best way I can describe the driving it is "taut" with firm steering and braking.

Only thing I don't like is that the gas pedal is so lightly sprung that it is EASY to press it too hard, especially from a stop, causing an unintended jack-rabbit type start. Other than that, it has been great for the 5 months I've owned it.

This is the 2nd Toyota I've owned. We bought a Toyota Corona Mark II back in 1971 and liked it. It was a good car and was purchased new from the same dealer where I found my RAV.

I recently went to the local Toyota dealer (did not buy the car there) to see about getting some seat belt extenders. I did not like how the end of the seat belt is tucked so far down in the tight space between the seat and the transmission console. I was happy to find that these were available at no charge. They were out of the ones that fit my 2012 RAV4, so they were ordered and showed up a week later. These are 6" long and fit perfectly. Their color even matches the black and beige color scheme of my RAV's interior. Not only do these make it a lot easier to fasten and unfasten the front seal belts but they also stop the warning bell from dinging every time I want to warm up the engine in the driveway for a few minutes before heading out or start it up when I am working on it. I only do this when it is very cold here, the windows are frozen over, or when my wife will be going somewhere with me. She's not a fan of cold cars and misses the heated seats in my 1999 Eldorado. Over-all, she really likes the peppy RAV with the V-6 engine.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts