Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. I have a 2004 Black Rav4. I am deciding on adding 20 inch black or chrome rims onto my car. WIll the effect of 20 inch rims affect my brakes because someone told me i need to install new brakes. also what is the cheapest rav4 full body kit you guys have seen? i am thinking about fiberglass material since it is the cheapest.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you want to see chrome on black Rav-4.............

.......... check my post "Rockin' 20"s..........." for a link to my cardomain pic page. As for brakes, no, you don't have to change a thing..... that said, if you go with a very "open" rim like I did, you're gonna see your brakes quite easily, you might want to paint the calipers of buy aftermarket brakes that "look" better. Functionality wise, the stock brakes don't need to be changed. Hope this helps!

Ps: Here you go, I've added the link to my pic page so you don't have to hunt for it.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/1772131/1

FYI: Black rims will give the illusion of a "smaller" wheel, I was going to go with black at first as well, but the whole point of running 20"s is to have the looks of a big wheel right? Just a point to ponder, everyone has thier own tastes and reasons! Good luck, either way it will look sweet!!!

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if you are looking at rims you may want to consider this. typically the bigger the rim the more rotational mass and rolling resistance you have in turn putting more strain on your tranmission and brakes. one of the key things i consider when buying rims is weight. just something for you to think about.

·
Registered
147 Posts
onikaze said:
if you are looking at rims you may want to consider this. typically the bigger the rim the more rotational mass and rolling resistance you have in turn putting more strain on your tranmission and brakes. one of the key things i consider when buying rims is weight. just something for you to think about.
But if you use a 40 series low profile tire, the over all height and diametre of the wheel is less than 5mm bigger than stock... ie: 16" rims with 70 series tires = 20" rims with 40 series tires. Weight could be an issue but not at this stage.... if you went 20 inch rims with a lift and 40" mudders, then yeah..... you're just asking for trouble!!! I live in a country where the laws are probably stricter than anywhere when it comes to modding vehicles, and if mine passed inspection here, then there is no problem whatsoever at a braking level, otherwise they would have shot me down at the door!

·
Registered
771 Posts
You probably won't have to change your brakes but you may want to after you drive it with bigger rims. You'll still stop ok but you may want to stop a bit better. There's no doubt that it will effect your handling and stopping ability. The thing is if you can live with it or not.
Compare total weight of stock to your prospective rims and tires. Additional weight will add distance and extra wear to your stock brakes. The #1 overlooked thing when changing rims and tires are the brakes.
Keeping the same overall diameter as (or as close to) stock will keep your computer and tranny shift points in line. This is important. Brakes and suspension depends on the driver. Drive it for a while first then decide. You can never have brakes that are too good or suspension that handles too well on any vehicle. I'm sure we could all use extra braking power.
I have to change my front brakes now infact but I'm go'na stick with stock. I'll be doing it myself with genuine Toyota Parts. I got 72,000 kms (44000 mi.) on there but I think it is the second set of pads.
Good luck with your new wheels, wish I had some! My second set of wheels and tires are for winter. Made for a purpose and great in the mud holes in the spring! I'll try to post some pics next year. M. :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts