Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a leak from where the drivers side cv axle is inserted into the transaxle on a 2006 RAV4 V6 FWD. I found the part online and have been searching how to replace it and if there are any tricks on how to remove the old seal. I can only find a little info on how to replace the entire CV axle but nothing on the seal.

Does anyone have any info on replacing the oil seal? Also, this may be a stupid questions, but is the differential on a FWD RAV lubricated by the transmission oil? Or is it separate?

Thank you,
Darren

·
Registered
129 Posts
you can tape up a screwdriver and try to leverage it out. take note not to gouge the aluminum casing where the seal sits. or you can search for a "seal puller" tool to use to pry the seal out. use a similar size socket to hit it back in with a rubber mallet. note how deep the old seal is so you can punch the new one in and not too deep so that it will deform.

·
Super Moderator
11,103 Posts
I always just use a big screwdriver angled in a couple of ways to pop a seal out. Once loosened you can pull it out with a couple of fingers hooked behind it.
I also jack that side of the car up fairly high (safely) to keep as little oil as possible from coming out. If the oil is or isn't red you'll have answered your own question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would rent a seal puller before jamming a screwdriver around the recess. A piece of PVC pipe the same diameter as the seal makes an excellent driver and will not mar anything like a socket can.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Front drivers side axle oil seal

So I haven't replaced the front axle drivers side inner oil seal on my wife's RAV4. Changed oil last night and its a mess down there. So the time has come. Seems pretty straight forward, remove axle, then pry out old seal with screwdriver or puller and reinstall everything. I found what I think is the correct part for the axle oil seal. Can anyone confirm whether or not this is the correct part?
2006 RAV4 V6 base FWD, Toyota Part No.: 90311-55005

Also, if anyone has a link to a DIY or video it would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Darren

1 - 5 of 5 Posts