Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to swith out my head lamps and tail lamps on my 97 Rav4 with some from a 98 Rav4. Are these a direct switch or do I have to get the light sockets too. If anyone has info or pics I would really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
You will need the '98 SOCKETS/BULBS for both ends and you will need to splice/dice the wiring, as the '97 headlights have a single bulb and the '98 headlights have twins and the tailight sockets/bulbs are of a different type/size.

Other than the socket/bulb config.... it's an easy swap... I did mine a few years back.

If you need exact wire colors to splice, let me know as I will be out in my garage later today working on a "RAV4 Project" :roll:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to know the exact steps/colors/methods to perform the swap for both the head lights and tail lights, if possible. Every time I see a 98 RAV drive by it fills me with envy at how clear their lights look :evil:. Surely it can't be TOO hard, but I would like to know what tools I need, and how much time before I go off and buy the parts. I have searched the forums both here and on RAV4OZ, but I did not see any confirmed steps, just people asking for help. On a side note, does anyone know where I can buy the 1998 rear assembly for less than $98 each side? The 1997 is available aftermarket for 60 each, so I was just wondering if the 1998s had a similar deal. Thanks!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would also like to know. Does somebody have a step by step pdf or something. I have everything now but need help. Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
From what I have seen thus far, if you get the harness with the taillight assembly, its a plug-n-play deal. The 98-00 taillights are same size/shape as the 96-97 ones. I ordered some in for a customer at the auto parts store i work part time at & helped him install them as well. We used my 97 as the test dummy since his 96 wasnt available. Only thing he had to add were load resistors for led bulbs to correct fast blink & error problems associated with switching from incandescent bulbs to led ones.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I want to swith out my head lamps and tail lamps on my 97 Rav4 with some from a 98 Rav4. Are these a direct switch or do I have to get the light sockets too. If anyone has info or pics I would really appreciate it.
There is a sticky post on swapping 98-00 headlights into 96-97. Check it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts