Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

First time poster
Just wanted to know if anyone has had overheating issues? I have a 1998 rav4 runs well appart from over heating when accelerating... she’s fine when idling.. hubby has pulled the radiator appart(not in the literal sense) trying to find blockages and nothing he’s flushed the system replaced hoses it will stay cool for 2-3 days and overheat again. He doesn’t think it’s the radiator as seems in perfect nick. It’s also not letting the hot water out into the overflow no matter what u do unless the hose is compleatly removed. Changed the hose and checked blocks ... any ideas?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
"Checked blocks" = ?

Temperature sender, water pump, t-stat, blocked airflow, collapsing radiator hose, bad fan or relay, etc. to check for. Also should check for a cracked block or head; AutoZone loans out a block-checker kit; but be sure to get its needed fluid.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,044 Posts
One thing LugNut left off is the radiator cap, it is often a culprit when water won't flow to the overflow.

You usually cannot tell if a radiator is bad just by looking at it, my radiator looked great until I pulled the fans and the lower third of the radiator fins were badly deteriorated, replaced it and all was well, you can get one pretty cheap at Amazon.com or a host of other sites. See my thread http://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-4-1-faults-fixes/243105-cooling-system-rebuild.html.

As LugNut also said a collapsed hose could do it, I would recommend changing all the hoses if it's been much more than three years or you have no idea when they were last changed.

A aftermarket thermostat or improperly installed thermostat. I don't usually jump on the "buy Toyota parts" bandwagon but in this case I tried two different aftermarket thermostats and they both led to overheating. The Toyota one has a larger valve and a weep hole that the aftermarket ones just don't have. Make sure if you change it that the index marks line up or it won't work right.

See my old friend Scotty Kilmer for some diagnostics -

·
Registered
10,239 Posts
Hi all,

First time poster
Just wanted to know if anyone has had overheating issues? I have a 1998 rav4 runs well appart from over heating when accelerating... she’s fine when idling.. hubby has pulled the radiator appart(not in the literal sense) trying to find blockages and nothing he’s flushed the system replaced hoses it will stay cool for 2-3 days and overheat again. He -’t think it’s the radiator as seems in perfect nick. It’s also not letting the hot water out into the overflow no matter what u do unless the hose is compleatly removed. Changed the hose and checked blocks ... any ideas?
Are you using water or coolant?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts