Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For: 2004 Rav4 2wd Automatic Transmission

What I am asking for is a few photos from the same angles as the photos I'm attaching below so I can compare it with mine. You don't need to jack up the car.
I believe any Rav4 from 2000-2005 will be the same, but 4WD might be different.

I bought car 2 years ago and it goes through tires very fast. It was apparently in an accident, but it didn't show up on carfax and the owners didn't disclose this fact. The dealership wasn't able to complete an alignment and said they think something is bent. They said it will be very expensive to repair, so I'm trying to do as much of it myself as possible. So now I'm trying to figure out what needs to happen to get it to align properly. I believe I need a new rear trailing arm with new bushing. However, I'm also trying to figure out if the frame or subframe is bent. The mount where the rear trailing arm connects appears to be bent, but it's different on the other side and I couldn't find photos online to compare it with. The location is in front of the passenger rear wheel. The car doesn't need to be jacked up to take this photo.

Thank you in advance.

This is how you can get the photo:

And these are the photos of the mount that I'm hoping to get

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
It's basically just looking straight up, in front of the rear passenger wheel. You can use the front camera on your phone so you can see what you're taking a photo of. I will appreciate this very much if someone can do this for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree that's what I would try first. Hopefully most of the bend is in the trailing arm. Good luck and let us know how it went.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I'm going to start disassembly this weekend. Do you know of any DIY for this repair? I couldn't find it in the factory service manual or Chilton's for some reason. It's a little weird to me that they would leave it out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree,but a lot of times dealers don't put info in aftermarket manuals because they figure they can make more money if You take it into their shops. If You have a newer rav 4 toyota doesnt even sell a shop manual. I ended up getting a subscription to mitchell for My 2018. And it isnt as good as the old manuals. I've not looked under the earlier series so I cant help You there. The one big thing is to be careful with the springs as they can take off fingers if they get loose. I can see from Your picture that they have alignment cams on the bolt so it will have to be aligned when You get the new parts on it. If You happen to have a Friend that is or was a mechanic I think I would ask Him to come over and look at it and give You some pointers. And use jack stands to hold the car up especially. I wish I could give You some more advice but I've worked on a lot of cars over the years but not an early Rav 4. Be careful under it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I don't consider myself an expert, but I've done a fair amount of DIY car repairs on several past cars I've owned. The only thing about this job that concerns me is the mount. I was told it was bent, and it does indeed look bent, I'm just trying to figure out how badly it's bent so I know what I'm getting into. Do you have any advice on how to unbend it? Cranking bolts,, keeping track of everything and torquing them back down is one thing, but the thought of trying to hammer this mount into the correct position is stressing me out a little. Advice with respect to that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Best advice I could tell You would be to get Your replacement trailing arm and after removing the old arm bolt the back part of the new trailing arm that goes to the rear axle up loosely. Then hold the part that would bolt to Your frame and while looking up from under the trailing arm in the front where You have the damage You should be able to see if it was the old trailing arm is the bent part or the frame is bent. Hope this makes sense. I'm better at doing things then explaining the same thing. Skip

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That kind of make sense, thank you for the encouragement, I do appreciate it and it helps.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'd love to see how the front of your side steps are mounted. i know there's 3 spots to mount on the inner frame rail, but for me there's a second long bracket with a single square hole at the end that i have no idea where it goes to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts