Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey everyone!
Brand new to Toyota and forums all together. I recently purchased a 2003 Toyota rav4. Its 4 cylinder and the engine model is 1AZ-FE. The check engine light was on so I did some investigating (code was for airflow sensor) and realized the clips on the air filter body had dry rotted and broke so there was never a seal (figured this was problem to air flow sensor) . I replaced this part, took the battery terminals off to clear the engine light, then started it up. It runs TERRIBLE! barely would get about 10mph and shakes like a leaf! can someone help any suggestions would be great. I'm not the most vehicle savvy but I'm hoping i can figure this out.
Thanks
Blake

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Welcome! Disconnecting the battery can cause the ECM to lose its memory and problems with other computer-related components, which can result in strange behavior. If everything regarding the engine is as it should be and there are no warning lights showing while driving the drivability problem should disappear after a few drives while the system re-learns, and all should return normal.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I recently had stumbling issues and did the following, I suggest you check the same:

1.) Remove airbox, clean it out
2.) Pull out MAF, clean it with MAF cleaner
3.) Check throttlebody, clean it with TB cleaner

Try this first. Go to your local autozone, have them scan the car for engine codes

I had a bad ignition coil, that originally started with NO ENGINE LIGHT, I highly suggest you go to a local autozone or shop that does free engine checks and get it checked out. Probably an easy fix, and a MAF anyone can install in one of these engines, very easy to get to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts