Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If all goes well, I am picking up a V6 Ltd within a day or two. I was hoping the helpful gang here could give me some "day at the dealership" pointers. What don't I leave without (except the RAV)? What do I make sure to check out? What do I make sure to know? Etc.

Basically, anything you came across after you picked up your RAV, and thought, "Doh! I should've [done whatever] at the dealership".

I've read the topic, "List issues you initially had with your 2006 RAV4" and have gotten some defect related info, but I'm also looking for non-defect items that are easily overlooked or questions I should be asking.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You might want to make sure you've got your owners manual. Mine happened to be in the glove box but I didn't see the much vaunted leather case that it was supposed to be in. After looking all around I discovered that I did indeed have the case. For some reason it was in the back pocket of my drivers seat. :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Obviously the manuals. One thing the dealers seem to forget are the rubber plugs for the jack points. They're usually in the little cubbie hole under the fan and A/C controls. Check for those, it's a five minute install for them, if that.

As I had my spare stolen off my previous CR-V, I had them put wheel locks on before we left too.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mcjaco said:
Obviously the manuals. One thing the dealers seem to forget are the rubber plugs for the jack points. They're usually in the little cubbie hole under the fan and A/C controls. Check for those, it's a five minute install for them, if that.

As I had my spare stolen off my previous CR-V, I had them put wheel locks on before we left too.
The only way they could steal the spare of the RAV4 is if they were able to open the rear gate. You can't remove the spare without opening the rear gate :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm not sure what state you're in but my state requires front license plates. They bored holes in the bumper cover. I never realized it until I got my plates transferred. I would have preferred to put some sort of license plate mount on the front vs. them boring holes. There are two dimples for them to do so on the front but I still wasn't thrilled about how they mounted the front plate.

It's not a problem much anymore but make sure it has floor mats. I bought a Honda once and had to go back and get them because they weren't in there. They wanted to charge me for them.

I would make sure that you leave with a set of mudflaps. I don't have mine yet and I regret it.

All of the sites that I researched indicate that you shouldn't buy the add ons (paint protection, etc.) Be prepared, they're going to pitch, pitch, pitch. I make it a rule not to buy this stuff on purchase. It just complicates things. I know I can get it later or cheaper somewhere else. Especially when considering what a dealer charges for some of these things.

I bought the extended warranty. My dealership had a clause that if I never file a claim against the warranty I would be given a full refund when it expires. It was IMO a win-win. If something bad happens, say a transmission, then I'm covered. If I don't use it, I get my money back. You have to buy it that day for that deal if they offer it. I said no at first and they even wrote up the papers and I signed them. Then I changed my mind and they had to print them all over again LOL. It was against my best instinct but hopefully I'll never need it and it will be a wash. First model year was the reason I went for it.

Good luck!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot for all this great info, gang! Every bit helps.

McJaco -- you mentioned "manuals" (plural) -- how many am I looking for?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Make sure your RAV has all the options and accessories you ordered, along with the tool kit (jack & tools) in the reAr storage compartment.

OC

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I picked up mine after getting the auto dimming mirror w/ compass installed, I discovered it didn't work plus they didn't return the original mirror to me. (Don't ask me why I need it!) It turns out there's conflicting instructions on how to install and mine only worked with the door open!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's rough. It's probably so they could sell you a new feature that automatically opens your door whenever high beams hit your rear view mirror. :lol:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only way they could steal the spare of the RAV4 is if they were able to open the rear gate. You can't remove the spare without opening the rear gate :D[/quote]

Learn something new everyday. Thought I'd read the manual cover to cover. (Just when I was about to run out and buy some wheel locks)! Think I'll crack open the M again.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When you talk about jack points, are you talking about the jack points on the frame/body to jack the car up to replace a tire or is there another place I need to look to see if they are installed. What do they look like? I checked the location you mentioned and there was nothing there. Thanks for the info. :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
CHECK THE PAINT
look down the sides to make sure all the water spots are removed and the paint is smooth. This is really easy to do at night when the car is under the lot lights or in the shade. Water spots will appear to be little "crystaline" images on the paint. Real easy to spot with dark cars. Dealers do a lousy job in prepping the paint. It should be as smooth as a baby's butt. If you find water spots, make them remove em before you take delivery. It might be a good idea to tell them that PRIOR to taking possession. Mine is going back to get them removed..... :cry: :shock:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know if the JBL upgrade comes with its own manual (or is there just one vehicle owner's manual)?

Thanks again to everyone for helping me with this.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No seperate manual for the JBL and what's in the owners manual aint really squat. This forum has alot of info posted on the JBL that you'll find very useful.... :D

·
Registered
218 Posts
The jack points are just behind the front wheels and fore of the rear wheels on the frame. Most likely, if your didn't find them in the cubbie, the dealer installed them. They're just rubber plugs that pop into the holes.

Good info on the spare. I had no idea about the rear door.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all. I picked up the RAV today and everything went pretty smoothly -- still checking out some of the goodies and such. Your help was appreciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts