Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm trying to utilize a Rav4.2 rear diff and axles in an unusual custom application, which i'd be happy to detail if anyone is interested in funky custom projects. What I need to know is... which axle is longer, Left or Right?! I need to get my hands on two short side axles to give me the proper overall width.

Initially i bought a diff with both axles included, this is when i found out that one was longer than the other, and two short ones would be perfect. These axles were both tagged, and labeled L and R. Since the shorter axle was tagged "L", I ordered (from a different recycler) an additional Left side axle. This came in today... and it's a long axle... crap! Obviously one of the recycler's screwed up... but which one?!

From boot to boot the axle shaft portion measures:
Long: 13 3/4"
Short: 11 3/4"

If someone could take 5 mins to crawl under their Rav4.2 with a tape measure and measure one of their rear axles, I would be extremely grateful... thank you in advance!

PS: Eventually I'll be looking for a rear LSD option. Anything out there other than the ST205 torsen?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a bit more digging I figured out that the L axle is the short one. I contacted the second recycler, luckily they still had the other axle from the very same car and they sent it out to me at no charge, pretty good service!

So now i have two spare rear axles that are too long for me to use lol... i guess it can't hurt to have spare CV joints? :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts