Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EV World Blogs: Help Save an Endangered Species

Friday | 05 May 2006

If you were given the power to save a species by something you did, wouldn't you want to do it? This may be your chance to do just that and all you need to do is send Emails. What species are you trying to save? It is called the Toyota RAV4 EV. These are the cutest of the Cute Ute family of sports utility vehicles. It has soft rubber paws, and big headlight eyes, but what it is really great about these vehicles is that they don't smell. They emit no noxious gasses. None. This makes them a very special species of vehicle, it is a Zero Emissions Vehicle. They run on the electricity from your home. Unfortunately, many of these types of species have been hunted and crushed out of existence. Already extinct is the RAV4 EVs smaller cousin the GM EV1. There are no laws preventing the extinction of the RAV4 EV. Most are in captivity in large organizations. What we want to do is to set them free and allow them to be adopted by families that will love them, treat them well and save on gasoline. Won't you help?

More to read at the full blog entry...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Fantastic. And they're cheap as nuts. A good one will set you back about $40,000. Who could possibly refuse?

Now, shall I buy a brand new BMW X3 (fully kitted) or a second-hand EV? No wonder the driver has a cheeky grin.

And do not even ask about the cost of replacing the battery (Toyota argue that they stopped producing this because the cost of replacing the battery was more than the cost of the car!).

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/05/used_toyota_rav.html

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the automakers stopped producing electric vehicles because they were no longer legally obligated to do so -- they might claim different, but the ROI on developing plug-in electrics was too low for them to want to bother continuing.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I've just noticed you have a V6. Could you cope with the 67bhp EV? Might be a shock Sir! :shock: But then that big ol' engine of yours must be polluting the lovely Commonwealth of Virginia. How can you sleep at night? :D I live in Arlington, by the way, so I'll be sure to wave as I race past you in my 4.1!

·
Super Moderator
1,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, the seven years between our RAV's means that in the meantime, Toyota improved the powertrain so much so that the emissions of the V6 4x4 is identical to your I4 4x4 and the 2006 is rated a ULEVII, which I'm pretty sure the '99 never never achieved... :wink:

And believe me, I'd be racing past you! :lol:

If Toyota had made a RAV4 Hybrid, I would have snapped up one in a heartbeat -- the 2.4L I4 + electric motor(s) would have had the power of a V6 and the cleanliness of a PZEV emissions rating. 8)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts