Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:The Rav4 is one of the coolest mini suvs that I have ever seen. And I don't even own one yet. I have been researching on the internet for over 3 weeks and plan on buying my first Rav 4 in the spring. I currently own a 92 Vette and a 95 Astro van. I am selling the Astro van for a Rav4. I absolutely love the looks and everything that I have read about this vehicle.
Now for a few Questions? I plan on buying a 2001 or above. I guess because of the increase in horse power and the new body style, but is there a model or year that I should stay away from.
Also is the all wheel drive worth it? Being engaged all the time that is. That was my problem with my Astro van. It was engaged all the time and it really hurt in the MPG. The best I could do is 15 highway.Is that the case with the Rav4? Hope to hear from you guys and gals and cant wait until I buy my RAV4.

P

·
0 Posts
I own a 2003 2.0L 4WD automatic. My major aggravation is the transmission dropping from overdrive to third while in cruise control at highway speeds up hills that other vehicles climb without changing gears. I have learned to give it more throttle approaching the hill or drop it out of cruise.
A headwind also makes a difference.

I wonder sometimes if the 2.4L models do better.

I also wish I had gotten leather interior. I have noticed the seat covers have a sort of "fuzziness" to them although I am easy on them.
The AWD system does a fine job in snow and on steep gravel slopes.

Mine averages 23-27mpg. I would buy another RAV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2005 with the 2.4l auto, and it has no trouble maintaining 70-75mph up hills on the highway. Very zippy around town too. My commute is 30 miles each way on 2 lane highway, some stop and go, and I get 25-26mpg with 4WD. The 2004 is the 1st year for the 2.4, and also has rear disks and abs brakes.
MikeG
ps my other car is an M3 5 sp and I still enjoy driving the RAV

U

·
0 Posts
I have an '01 that I will be selling in a couple of weeks. I have 4WD with a manual trans and average 26-27 mpg. I've also made trips to Vegas with 4 fulll size adults and luggage and have no power problems.

R

·
0 Posts
Manual transmission is good

When the 2001s originally came out, I test drove an auto transmission because the manual was not on the lot. When I received my Manual transmission RAV4, there was a great deal of difference in power. I recommend going for a STICK shift.
I have a LUGGUAGE RACK on my roof. There have been times, I had two bikes on sides on the ROOF and the lugguage rack was full and the interior of the car was full with 4 people and rear area packed to the top. I had no problem with my manual transmission RAV4 POWER at all. As far as the fuel economy is concerned, I am not able to move from 25mpg at all. City or Highway. I tried drive at 55mph on the freeway for a while but the fuel economy stayed at 25mpg. I am happy with it anyway because my 4Runner gave me 17mpg so this is much better.

C

·
0 Posts
I just bought my 2001 about a month ago (used with ~60K on the odo), and for what it's worth I would buy another in a heart beat.
We replaced a 93 Jeep Cherokee 4L 5spd 4x4 with the 2.0L 5spd 4WD Rav4. Best trade I ever made. Cruising around town some freeway some not, some stop and go some open roads we hit right about 23mpg. The best I ever did with the Jeep (in 2 wheel drive) was 22 on open highway with the cruise set at a constant speed for the entire trip.

R

·
0 Posts
For Sale: 2002 RAV4 "L" Loaded

I have a 2002 RAV4 that's for sale. 43k miles, loaded, leather, wood trim, roof rack, 2WD, side step bars. $16900 US.

There are more photos in the album for you to look at.

Please email me at [email protected] if you're interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts