Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Welcome to the forums Lauren. :D Sorry to hear about your spare tire getting stolen. :cry: Buy a new one and get some wheel locks for your car.

Get a set of 5 wheel locks so that there is one for each tire and the spare. Check out brands such as "Gorilla" or "McGard". They make excellent wheel locks and deters such thefts from occuring. I also have a lock on my hard spare tire cover, so the thief has to get through 2 sets of locks to get to my spare. :lol:

·
Registered
10,240 Posts
Welcome greenrav, sorry to hear what happen. But their is always a low life in this world who envys the rest of the world. Unfortunately you got chosen. These kind of things make us a little more cautious. Derek [The Guru] is recommending the best locks. One little piece of advice. Every time you install something in your RAV4. Think of the low lives that live in the neighborhood. Then think in security. Never lower your guard.

Peace, hay, Happy New Year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the advice guys i do appreciate it. I am purchasing a new tire today and wheel locks as well. I never had a problem in my neighbor hood before and it was just a weird occurance that happened and i didn't know what to do.

·
Registered
771 Posts
The rim and tire are pretty specific for your Toyota. Check the neighbourhood to see if there are any RAV's kiking around. may have been a matter of convience for one of your neighbours.

I lock my cover as well. Don't want to replace that either. If you have alloys you may have to buy your locks from Toyota or special order them because they have an inset portion that goes inside the rim. Ordinary locks on alloys won't do, Safely. Steelies, then just buy what-ever.

Welcome and hope you enjoy. Happy New Year!! :D

Later. M.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have ordered a new wheel as well as a new tire for my car. I got wheel locks as well in case of problems again. There are many ravs in my neighborhood , doesn't matter at this point whats done has been done.

·
Registered
685 Posts
As I mentioned in an earlier thread, locking the spare to the spare mount isn't 100% theft-proof.......The 4 bolts that hold the spare mount to the door are accessable through the wheel openings.....
Some ppl just won't be deterred no matter what........ isn't that always the case......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have put three lock nuts i believe that's what they are called on my spare. i was going to put wheel locks on my tires but i was advised against it as a mechanic had told me that once the wheel locks are in place they tightened and they are harder to get off.
The taser idea was really cool , but very illegal in the United States i believe.
I appreciate all the help you guys have given me with my vehicle. being a female i really do not know much about cars.
Happy New Year to you all.

P.S
what are the best fog lights to get

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Hi Lauren,

I don’t know why your mechanic did not want to put the locknuts on the rims other than he did not want to do it.
The only way it would be harder to take off if he did not have the key.

BTW: The locknuts can still be removed by a thief but he needs the right tools and it is much harder. I forgot my key at home when my mechanic had the car hoisted to install new tires and it took them 10 times longer using a Master set.

So I would find someone capable who would replace one lug on every wheel with a Locking one. And whatever is left over put on the spare. One is a sufficient deterrent for each rim.

If you have a hard cover don’t forget to put a small lock on it. I have a twisted heavy black cable, which is not so visible.

Happy New Year,

Walt

·
Registered
986 Posts
I good way to prevent your spare from being stolen is to spray paint the rim and/or part of the tire with an off color like neon green or orange. This works best if you have a spare tire cover, otherwise it might look a little funny. This way, a thief will be less likely to steal it since they have to repaint it. If you paint part of the sidewall of the tire, they have to cover it in black paint or try to remove the paint, and this will show up pretty easily no matter what they try to do to cover it. Therefore, you will be able to spot it if it was stolen by someone in your neighborhood.

This may sound stupid but I have heard of people doing it, and in theory it will reduce the chance of it being stolen. Of course you would only want to do this if you have a spare tire cover, and the spare tire has a steel rim (cheaper than alloy and can be repainted). It is not 100% effective, but will reduce crimes of opportunity.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts