Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2012 v6 limited. The interior panel at the footwell of the passenger side popped off on my way to this office this AM.

I tried to put it back on, but I can't seem to get it secure or hear a tactile "click" where the male/female portions attach.

Could you let me know if I'm missing parts or if you could snap a photo of your vehicles so I can compare? Thanks

Attachments

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
That's the cover under the glove box? See that prong sticking out in the back? You need to find the hole it fits in, shove it into that hole, then raise the back of the panel until it clicks into place with the 2 latches. The hole looks like it's in that insulation, use your finger to locate it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Junebug. I'll give it a shot on my break. I was afraid it was broken and would've had to pay between $50-60 for a replacement.

It's #3 in the diagram; Part #556070R030

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, looks like is secured "enough" for now. The left clip will not secure and likely because there is not enough tension. The rear prong appears to be missing a chunk out of it and seems to be causing play. I was able to secure the right side and hear an audible "snap".

If it becomes an issue, I could electrical tape the heck out of the prong until it's secured then try again. If it still is an issue I may have to fork up the dough to find a replacement from a part out or order one new.

This vehicle left Toyota as a certified pre-owned vehicle, however I don't believe these items are covered.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Alright, looks like is secured "enough" for now. The left clip will not secure and likely because there is not enough tension. The rear prong appears to be missing a chunk out of it and seems to be causing play. I was able to secure the right side and hear an audible "snap".
If it becomes an issue, I could electrical tape the heck out of the prong until it's secured then try again. If it still is an issue I may have to fork up the dough to find a replacement from a part out or order one new.
This vehicle left Toyota as a certified pre-owned vehicle, however I don't believe these items are covered.
Why not try the dealer under the CPO program? Seems it could qualify as a customer good will issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll send them an email. The panel to the left the current panel in question was missing as well. I realized that probably 2 weeks after I drove off the lot many cities over.

I ordered it from an online Toyota vendor and installed it today. That's when I noticed all of this. I'm curious if the dealer had to go down there for some reason, broke the part and failed to replace the other panel.

I'll send them an email.

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
OK, I just took a look at mine. It appears the same as yours, and the length of the prong seems to be the same. I also located the square hole where the prong goes. I found out it's easier to install if you first stick the prong in the hole, then snap in the right side and finally the left side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Junebug! Were you able to snap both tabs in place again? My left side doesn't snap. My prong is also missing the dorsal fin portion so I'm guessing that's why there's not enough tension.

Oddly, the receiving end on the body side of my 2012 is black so I'm guessing they changed the materials?

·
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
Thanks, Junebug! Were you able to snap both tabs in place again? My left side doesn't snap. My prong is also missing the dorsal fin portion so I'm guessing that's why there's not enough tension.

Oddly, the receiving end on the body side of my 2012 is black so I'm guessing they changed the materials?
Yes, they both snapped into place the second time. First I tried the left side, but then the right side wouldn't snap. So I pulled it down and did right side first, and they both snapped into place. It's not a very secure mounting--you can push up on the front edge to the left of the prong and it's got a lot of play.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, Toyota replaced the part via CPO and reimbursed me for the panel that I ordered. Good on Concord Toyota.

Now, am I missing another piece? The first panel that I ordered (gray part) flaps around and I can't seem to locate where the rear portion locks into. Driver side is locked in. Any ideas?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts