Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Rav4World,

You have helped out many times in the past, so I'm coming back. I am looking for 4 new tires for my Unicorn 2011 RAV4 V6 Limited (with 3rd Row Seating) with about 130,000 miles. Of course, I want it all.

My wife & I have two small kids, live in Colorado, ski, hike & camp a decent amount and will be getting All-Season tires. (I understand that a summer/winter tire combo would be better, but I do not want to dedicate the time and money to change out tires every season). We bought the Rav 2+ years ago and it's been doing great. It came with some cheapy Arizonian Silver Edition 2 brand tires on it, and honestly, they have done pretty well, but I would like to step up my game a little bit.

We primarily use the car around Denver and when we go to the mountains (I70, etc...). I am concerned about decent snow capability for safety. Maybe once or twice a summer, if we are lucky, we'll use the RAV to get up a legit 4 wheel drive road to a hard to access trailhead. I have used the cheapy Arizonian Silver Edition 2 brand tires on about 5 legit 4-wheel drive roads to trailheads, and they have actually worked pretty well.

As I've thought about it, these are my priorities in an all-season tire. (225/65-17)

1. Winter/snow capability
2. Treadlife
3. Road noise/comfort for normal highway driving (road trips throughout the west)
4. A little off-road capability
5. Fuel efficiency (is this even a thing for tires these days?)
6. Price (a Christmas deal/sale would be great)

I could care LESS about a big brand name or the way it looks, but if the Michelin's or Bridgestones (I am a COSTCO member) have a really good product, I would consider it.

I have been using Tire Racks "Tire Decision Guide", but I don't think I want an actual "A/T" tire. I think I am leaning towards a more normal roadworthy tire that has can handle "A/T" every once and a while (but could be convinced towards a more "A/T" specific tire if it's actually good on the highways) Any ideas?

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts

I had these on my 2013 and got a little over 50k miles out of them(probably would have done better with more often rotation and alignment checks). They did great in all kinds of weather but lacked on ice(all season tires all will). Right now I have some super aggressive Winterforce tires I had from my old Crown Vic that fit on my 17" steel rims for the winter.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
You can go with a all weather tire which are snow rated with the mountain logo. These tires are much better then all season but have much better traction in snow and can be used all year round. This article list 5 brands.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Check out the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus. I have a set and have been very pleased. Looks like I will get about 55,000 miles out of them. Will be replacing them with the new version, called the Plus II, which is out now but has not yet been reviewed or showing much in the way of reported miles from owners.

Touring All-Season Tires for a Crossover or SUV "Mission Accomplished" (review)

SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS II - SIZE: 225/65R17 (the new tire)

I run Blizzak WS-80s in the winter but these have been excellent for me overall. Questions? Ask away!

-kj-

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have tried Blizzaks and Ice-x 3's but prefer the Blizzaks for upstate new york winter weather...Ive had ZERO luck with any all season in the winter... Blizzaks are only slightly less grippy on ice, but do waaaaaaay better in the deep stuff. Had a set on my corolla that got me through 18 inches of fresh snow. I should not have been out in that, but as long as those wheels were turning the car was moving... until i tried to get back in my driveway after the plows went through... then i got hung up on the bank, but ya know... got a fresh set of Blizzak WS-80s on my rav now. Also rotated them once and drove on them in the summer and got about 30k miles out of them. By far my favorite tire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts