Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to satellite radios and have been reading many of the posts of people's installs and doing a bit of research, however...

I'm still having a hard time deciding which brand and whether to go with Sirius or XM and what receiver to get.

I know the fundamental differences that's on the products but I'm interested to hear from those who chose the Delphi Roady XT over the SKYFi2 and why (and vice versa). I'm leaning towards the Roady XT because of the price but not sure if price should be driving this decision.

I like Sirius for its option of a one-time fee for lifetime subscription. Basically break even point is 5 years and the ability to transfer it to another receiver. XM doesn't offer this option. But I'm not sure I want to shell out $500 right now. But like the fact that is an option if I feel I can't live w/o it.

So I'm also interested in hearing from those who have tried both and why you prefer one over the other. I believe there are differences in the sports stations and number of stations.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm cheap! :D And I really don't want to spend a whole lot of money right now so I'm trying to figure out a happy medium to spice up my listening options. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Carol

P

·
0 Posts
I have XM radios in all my vehicles (4) and will be installing a Skifi in the RAV today. My PT cruiser came with Sirius radio and I was disappointed in it because of the poor bandwidth allocated to the talk channels. The music channels on Sirius sounded fine but all the talk channels (which is 90% of my listening) sounded like AM-mono quality. I was advised that Sirius allocates full stereo bandwidth to the music stations and limits the bandwidth on the talk channels. I have not encountered this issue on the XM stations except for the traffic channels, but all the rest are in excellent stereo quality. I have used the Skifi2 units before in my inlaws car and liked it (has live pause and rewind features) but I will be transferring an older Skifi (1) unit from one car to the RAV.

I would be interested to see where everyone else mounts their Skifi units. I will be plugging it directly into the Ipod input in the armrest, so hopefully I will get a better quality than the FM tranceiver I am currently using in all my vehicles.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback, Propak. I'm leaning towards XM for various reasons and it would be cool to have MLB play-by-play.

I did a little more research and I think I might go with skyFi2 since I like the features (like ones you mentioned).

I've also been deliberating as to where to mount it. I think sstarrx3 mounted it to the left of the stereo, kind of like the pic Tony (karrock) posted in sstarrx's thread. The photos aren't in sstarrx's album anymore tho :( . It would be nice to have it plugged into the aux input.

I read in another forum that some people use the Belkin cup holder insert to hold their skyfi and roady's. My sister-in-law has one for her iPod so I might borrow hers to see how that would work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have Sirius. I love it so far. I took it on vacation and only listened to 1 CD the entire week. Lots and lots of choices in music and talk as I am sure you are aware. One of my favorite channels is Radio Margaritaville (all Buffet concerts are carried live on his channel).

I have friends with both. What it really comes down to is which service offers more of what you want re programming. I like baseball. Unfortunately, XM has MLB locked up. Do you like football? Sirius has the NFL exclusive. In a perfect world, XM and Sirius would merge and you would have it all. I would highly suggest you visit both sites websites and look at what each has in terms of programming.

I cannot speak to how XM is run as a company, but I can tell you a few things about Sirius. I am Sirius-ly disappointed with them as a company. They may well be a victim of their own success; getting certain products has been difficult. I waited over 3 months to get the home kit that was promised when my wife bought it as a Christmas gift. They just didn’t have them. Sirius had no answer when I asked them how they could sell packages that they couldn’t fulfill in a timely manner. Of course, one week after my Christmas order was finally completed (in March), I noticed they are selling them for $10 cheaper (and complete) at Costco.

I cannot refute or agree with Propak on the bandwidth issue. I simply don’t know. Most Sirius radios are plug-n-play (pnp). They are designed to operate on the FM band. Audio quality can be poor at times. Sirius advised me not to “hard wire” the unit, but I am going to try anyway (maybe this weekend). I will explore putting it through the AUX port which should increase the fidelity considerably (I will post pictures if I do). XM seems to have units that can dock into your car, Sirius has suction cups for mounting on the windshield. I personally do not care for this.

I am not shilling for Sirius, but very shortly they are going to have a portable (i.e. walkman type) radio available that can also dock in your car or home. XM apparently does not have this type of player (yet). Something you might want to consider.

If you have any other questions, let me know. I would be happy to answer.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Slider. That helps. I think Delphi has a MyFi that's a portable that comes with car and home kit. Seems like the kits for Delphi are readily available so don't think there's an issue there. I do like MLB so that's a plus. Have sunday ticket so don't really need NFL. Both have NHL (at least right now for playoffs). I have Center Ice but probably won't renew for next year until playoffs so it would be nice to have this. If XM broadcasts NHL games, then that's a shoo-in.

I found a site that compared them side by side: http://www.radiosatellite.org/

I've been doing some price checking (since that'll be the true shoo-in :) ) and I can get the Roady XT for a final cost of $29.99 (includes $20 rebate)! That's $40 less than the SkyFi2, and it'll cover 3 mon subscription cost! If I go this route, I'll probably give it to hubby when we replace his car and I can look for an upgrade.

OOoooooOOOOooo, I'm getting close to a decision!

P

·
0 Posts
I mounted my antenna last night right next to the sunroof on the driverside(between the sunroof and roof rack. You really need to search to find it. Didn't get to mount the unit yet tho, hopefully today. It looks like I am going to mount it right between the two center vents above the radio. I like to keep everything centered, looks better I think. Post pics soon.

·
Registered
422 Posts
In our Civic we have our Sirius Sportster plugged into the AUX and it works MUCH better than using an FM station. Functionality-wise, our Sirius is excellent. I personally feel that they need to completely overhaul their music stations though.

I don't listen to talk radio or sports on the radio (sports on TV yes, on the radio no) because I seem to have a lack of ability to follow them. I think I must have ADD or something. It's the same with audiobooks.

Anyway, Sirius' music stations drive me absolutely crazy with their repetition. Now, I like Def Lepperd, but I swear if I hear "Photograph" one more time.... :wall Basically there are certain songs that they just play to death, possibly even more so than regular radio. They were running commercials not too long ago that said something like "It's like having every song ever made". NOT. It's like having all the same songs that you've heard over and over ad infinitum on the radio, now played over and over ad infinitum by satellite.

I also think they need more than one station that plays kind of general, recent music. I tend to listen to Pulse ("90s and now") a lot, but if they're not playing something I want to hear, my choices are music by decade or specific types of music like, say, rap, metal, R&B, whatever. Regular radio in any given town might have four or five similarly formatted general popular music stations, and I'll go between them to find something I want to hear at the time. I wish Sirius had a couple more stations like this. There's a LOT of songs out there (if only they would play them), it would be easy for them to do this. Maybe like Pulse 1, 2, and 3 or something. That way people could stick with recent songs without having to scan through stations that cater only to specific genres of recent songs. But who knows, maybe I'm the only one who has this issue with them. Or maybe it's just an issue for those of us who have their Sirius built into their existing head units, because of the limited functionality of a regular head unit compared to a Sirius-dedicated unit.

Becky

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have both the SkyFi2 and Roady XT. Currently only the SkyFi2 is mounted in the RAV (See my album). When I get a chance to order the Panavise bracket, I'll switch back to the Roady. I'm using the Belkin TuneDock for now to mount the SkyFi2.

The SkyFi2 is kinda bulky but the nice features are the replay function (up to 30 minutes), large screen, and portability (easy to remove and plug it in to a home cradle). The replay is nice if you happen to get stuck under an overpass and lose signal. Just hit the rewind button.

The reason I'm going back to the Roady is it is smaller and you can change the color of the light. We didn't transfer the SkyFi2 from car to home a lot because ,with an XM subscription, you can also listen over the web (it's included with the service).

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the feedbacks, everyone. I also read on the AV forum that a few people thought XM had a bit too much repeats. I'm actually signed up right now with both Sirius and XM on a free trial run online. That way I can sample some of their stations. So far, the online version of XM has Sirius beat.

In case anyone is considering XM, there's a couple of rebates going on. Amazon seems to have the cheapest price for both SkyFi2 and Roady XT. I also found an XM promo from the holidays that might still be available, at least the site is still up and the code works. The promo is offering a SkyFi for $49.99 with the caveat that you prepay for 3 months and commit to at least 6 months or they'll charge a fee for early termination. $49.99 is pretty darn good! and For another $20, you can order it with the home kit.

P

·
0 Posts
Installed the XM Skifi the other day. See my album for the install pics. I have the wires routed into my AC duct and down to the AUX input and spliced into the power behind the Cig. lighter. So, no cords. The antenna is right next to the roof rail front mounting point on the drivers side between the rail and the sunroof. You really have to look hard to find it. Also put on the rear bumper protector as well. Over all a pretty clean install. Still getting some noise through the AUX but it got better when I added a noise filetr inline with the power for the XM. Still have some noise issues though. Maybe I will add another filter for kicks to see what it does.

S

·
0 Posts
puttputt said:
Thanks for the feedback, Propak. I'm leaning towards XM for various reasons and it would be cool to have MLB play-by-play.

I did a little more research and I think I might go with skyFi2 since I like the features (like ones you mentioned).

I've also been deliberating as to where to mount it. I think sstarrx3 mounted it to the left of the stereo, kind of like the pic Tony (karrock) posted in sstarrx's thread. The photos aren't in sstarrx's album anymore tho :( . It would be nice to have it plugged into the aux input.

I read in another forum that some people use the Belkin cup holder insert to hold their skyfi and roady's. My sister-in-law has one for her iPod so I might borrow hers to see how that would work.
I have put another photo of my XM My-fi install in my album. I have a high end AUX cable running under the center console from the AUX input to the radio coming from behind the dash. :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for reposting a pic, sstarrx3. 8)

I decided to get the Roady XT for the size. A friend of mine ended up buying a MyFi this weekend from all my talk about XM (hehe). Saw it yesterday and I was a bit surprised by the size of it. It's bigger than the SkyFi but I suppose it had to be to accommodate the drive and battery (and built-in antenna).

Once I get the Roady XT installed, I'll post some pics in my album.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have put another photo of my XM My-fi install in my album. I have a high end AUX cable running under the center console from the AUX input to the radio coming from behind the dash. :D
I installed my Sirius this weekend using the AUX cable running under the center console also. Sounds a whole lot better now.

I will post pictures when I get a chance. It was surprisingly easy! (Of course I had assistance from somebody who knew what they were doing 8) )

S

·
0 Posts
I have xm in my wifes car. Fairly frustrated with them as a company. We don't listen to talk, only music. The 6 channels we listened two have been cut down to one. They have been continuously removing stations and really haven't been adding much in the way of music. Just my gripe with them.

S

·
0 Posts
snowdreams1080 said:
I have xm in my wifes car. Fairly frustrated with them as a company. We don't listen to talk, only music. The 6 channels we listened two have been cut down to one. They have been continuously removing stations and really haven't been adding much in the way of music. Just my gripe with them.
I hadn't really noticed that, so I guess they are ones I don't listen to. I do know they have added quite a few, again, that don't listen to. I listen to the Comedy Channels 50% of the time. The world needs more humor :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts