Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm interested in a limited hybrid with tech package. I'm in Northern California. I'm also interested in 7 year 100k extended warranty. Can anyone help me with what pricing I should be targeting? In 2011 I bought a Prius and didn't do any research. Ending up spending $1500-$2000 more than I should of. I don't want that to happen again. Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
www.truecar.com

Looks like you can do $500 over invoice. I used San Jose 95101 as the area.
From Truecar.com data, hybrid shows $300 more than MSRP on XLE and $700 more on Limited version in North Cal.

I think South Cal can get around MSRP. The supply of hybrid is very limited and people is willing to pay up to MSRP.

·
Registered
138 Posts
From Truecar.com data, hybrid shows $300 more than MSRP on XLE and $700 more on Limited version in North Cal.

I think South Cal can get around MSRP. The supply of hybrid is very limited and people is willing to pay up to MSRP.
You are right. When you go though the process with truecar. It doesn't give you a price for the dealers in the area. It just states that they will get you pricing.

The inventory in west coast is still really low. There are 32 available within 100 miles of San Jose. But, when you search inventory 100 miles of Chicago and you get 280.

I did look at cars.com and found a XLE discounted more than $1K.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/664197272/overview/

New Toyota Dealer In Santa Rosa | Freeman Toyota

·
Registered
24 Posts
You are right. When you go though the process with truecar. It doesn't give you a price for the dealers in the area. It just states that they will get you pricing.

The inventory in west coast is still really low. There are 32 available within 100 miles of San Jose. But, when you search inventory 100 miles of Chicago and you get 280.

I did look at cars.com and found a XLE discounted more than $1K.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/664197272/overview/

New Toyota Dealer In Santa Rosa | Freeman Toyota
When I shopped the car a month ago, the inventory of hybrid was extremely low in California (North and South). There was no price bargain on limited hybrid but XLE did have room to negotiate. I did research on inventory level through dealer site in nearly entire California. All big cities were low in limited hybrid. Meanwhile Truecar site can show the average purchase price difference. I ended up purchase one from out of state for the color I wanted at invoice price. Nowadays toyota's list price and invoice is about thousand $ difference only comparing to other Car brand might have typically 2 grand and more difference. Anyway $1200 difference was worth for me to drive over 9 hrs to get the car. Plus the dealer had added tinted on window and clear film on the door edge, front bumper and side view mirror. I think that extra could count for few hundreds more saving. Anyway I am happy for my purchase. I'm sure if you can wait for few more months. Price should come down like those at the east coast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi

I'm interested in a limited hybrid with tech package. I'm in Northern California. I'm also interested in 7 year 100k extended warranty. Can anyone help me with what pricing I should be targeting? In 2011 I bought a Prius and didn't do any research. Ending up spending $1500-$2000 more than I should of. I don't want that to happen again. Thanks for the help in advance.
Check this out too. http://www.findthebestcarprice.com/quotes/
In my case, use online quote from Costco auto program, some people use truecar/edmund, more importantly, go to dealers web site and request for online quote/eprice.
Then you compare the sale price for same MSRP between quotes from dealers. Name a price you like and bid. For me, the sale price I got in the end is 10% off MSRP, whereas the average price on truecar only saves 4-5% of MSRP.
If you are at a dealership, you have no room to negotiate or will take several hours to get a good deal.
Using online quote, you can let dealers compete the price or match the best price you get. Some dealers may want to sell you at a much lower price to earn your business, especially when a car is in stock too long.
In my case, I went to the dealer to confirm and test the car after I got a best price. Of course signed the deal right after test drive since the price is great.
Hope this help.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...use online quote from Costco auto program, some people use truecar/edmund, more importantly, go to dealers web site and request for online quote/eprice...

...If you are at a dealership, you have no room to negotiate or will take several hours to get a good deal...

...Using online quote, you can let dealers compete the price or match the best price you get...
These are all very good tips--except sometimes an in-person negotiation might yield the best price--so it might be worth a few hours to make the dealer sweat your price.

FWIW, I was in the lot just browsing, looking at a 2016 hybrid limited with every bell and whistle, showed $36k on the sticker. Within two minutes the salesman said they just sold one for $3500 off that price--and they would never advertise that on a website, so there is definitely some room to negotiate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
These are all very good tips--except sometimes an in-person negotiation might yield the best price--so it might be worth a few hours to make the dealer sweat your price.

FWIW, I was in the lot just browsing, looking at a 2016 hybrid limited with every bell and whistle, showed $36k on the sticker. Within two minutes the salesman said they just sold one for $3500 off that price--and they would never advertise that on a website, so there is definitely some room to negotiate.
Agree. At the end still need to show in person.
Instead of being seated for 10 min several times while the salesman stays in the managers' room chatting and having coffee, I rather show up in the store with a good online quote. Then you make a final negotiation with the salesman. Assuming you get a 7% off MSRP from an Eprice and you know the car is in stock, I would show up in person 2hr before the store is closed and give them the price I want to pay. In my experience, we made a final deal within 20 min. I guess the room for negotiating a 2016 hybrid RAV4 is 10~15% off MSRP. If you can get 15% off MSRP, that would be the best deal ever.

·
Registered
20 Posts
...I would show up in person 2hr before the store is closed and give them the price I want to pay. In my experience, we made a final deal within 20 min.
I actually did exactly that when I bought my CRV, and... it was a summer Friday night so the finance guy was in a hurry to make the last ferry to Fire Island before the weekend- he instantly gave me the best finance rate they had with no haggling. I was in and out of the finance office in less than 10 min IIRC.
Of course shopping and saying you're willing to make the deal just before the end of the month gives you some additional leverage too :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts